Location: Based in Geneva
Starting date: End of March 2020
Duration: minimum 6-12 months- 100% full time
Founded in 1962, ICVA (International Council of Voluntary Agencies) is a global network of over 100 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) active in 160 countries, operating at global, regional, national and local levels, whose mission is to make humanitarian action more principled and effective by working collectively and independently to influence policy and practice.
Based on its 2019-2021 Strategy, ICVA promotes and facilitates NGO engagement in the development of humanitarian sector, with a focus on Forced Migration, Coordination, Financing, and Navigating change/ Cross cutting issues.
Historically based in Geneva, ICVA expanded its presence to Asia, MENA and Africa in 2013.
Objective of the position
The Intern will support the Head of Humanitarian Coordination focus area. The Head of Humanitarian Coordination engages for ICVA network in the IASC (Interagency Standing Committee) humanitarian coordination mechanisms including the Emergency Directors Group and different thematic Results Groups, and with the Humanitarian Leadership. The intern will provide support to ensure that information is shared with ICVA members, their contributions are properly channeled to be raised and heard in different platforms, and that members ad hoc requests are addressed.
Responsibilities and activities
· Prepare meetings hosted by ICVA: invitation, background documents and logistics;
· Prepare background research and documents;
· Prepare meetings attended by ICVA: draft support documents, draft talking points, reach out to ICVA membership or external stakeholders;
· Take and share notes of meetings;
· Attend and report on external meetings;
· Assist in the development of new projects;
· Ensure a regular monitoring of results and activities under the focus area;
· Draft report for external audience (donors, members, etc.);
· Contribute to communication on the work of the focus area in the monthly bulletin, on the ICVA website, and in various reports;
· Perform other duties as assigned.
The intern will be under the overall supervision Head of Humanitarian Coordination. It is a paid internship.
Qualifications and Requirements
· Ongoing or obtained Master’s in international Relations (or equivalent studies in the humanitarian sector)
· 0 to 1 year (the internship can also be part of the academic cursus)
Specific competencies & skills
· Knowledge and understanding of the current humanitarian contexts and global thematic issues;
· Good writing skills;
· Good digital proficiency (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, databases).
· French (excellent spoken and written);
· English (excellent spoken and written).
Duties applicable to all staff
· Good team player who builds strong relations in collaborating with members, colleagues and supervisors;
· Ability to organize work efficiently;
· Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team and international environment;
· Ability to deal with tight deadlines and frequent change of priorities.