Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Sub-office in Sebha, the National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NHAO) analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within a portfolio. The NHAO works in close collaboration with the OCHA Libya management and coordination teams, NGOs and Programme staff in other UN Agencies.
Under the overall supervision of the OCHA Libya Head of Office and under the day-to-day guidance of the Head of Sub-Office in Sebha, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in Libya.
- Participates in large, complex projects, to include disaster assessment or other missions; assists in the coordination of international humanitarian/emergency assistance for complex emergency/disaster situations and in ensuring the necessary support (e.g. staff, funding, specialized equipment, supplies, etc.); drafts situation reports to the international community, apprising of situation to date and specifying unmet requirements of stricken countries.
- Partners with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programmes and help ensure that latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, etc.
- Undertakes and provides support to technical assistance and other field missions, including assessments using the Libya Inter-Agency Initial Rapid Needs Assessment tool;
- Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications.
- Serves as the primary focal point for humanitarian partners in Libya; keeps abreast of latest developments, liaises with other humanitarian organizations, donors, etc., ensures
- appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms; provides information and advice on a range of related issues.
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance.
- Organizes and participates in work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Organize, participate and/or assist in organizing working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Perform any other duties assigned by supervisor.
Impact of Results:
Assist the OCHA Office in Libya in identifying significant humanitarian issues and developing innovative suggestions and approaches to problem solving. Help meet organizational objectives and provide sound analytical inputs and support to the coordination of humanitarian action.
Results-Based Response Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses performance of the humanitarian response to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into response mechanisms
- Monitor and evaluate humanitarian response in order to bridge the gaps in coordination and information management
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts and build effective partnerships with wider humanitarian counterparts, for well coordinated humanitarian response and sound information management
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Master’s Degree or equivalent in political or social sciences or related field. Bachelor’s degree will be considered as a qualification, with additional 2 years of relevant experience.
2 years of relevant experience (5 years if no master’s qualification) at the national or international level in humanitarian affairs, emergency relief management or development work. Familiarity with and good knowledge of the Libya crisis and humanitarian assistance to Libya is strongly desired.
Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required.
Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
Proven abilities in data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting with ability to write in a clear and concise manner and effective oral communication;
Proven skills in conducting and participating in meetings and reporting thereof.
Ability to prioritise multiple tasks within an environment where many interruptions occur.
Ability to work with multi-cultural teams and international professionals;
Availability and fitness for travel;
Ability to work under pressure
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension