United Nations General Assembly Resolution 67/226 calls for more effective and cost-efficient support services in all programme countries by reducing the duplication of functions, and administrative and transaction costs through the consolidation of operational support service. In late 2017 as part of the Reform Agenda, the Secretary-General committed to the establishment of common back office functions for all United Nations country teams by 2022. UNDP has also subsequently reflected this as part of UNDP Strategic Plan 2018-2021 by committing to transform the organization into becoming the backbone of the United Nations Development System through the consolidation of support services to drive efficiency savings.
In line with these objectives and building on recommendations from recent business process and audit reviews conducted by external firms and internal audit office respectively, the Executive Group, recommended to pursue the global clustering initiative across UNDP based on the clustering business case.
The global clustering business case recommends establishment of various units within the target operating model. The position of the Human Resources Specialist is a key function contributing to the smooth implementation of the project.
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Service Delivery Optimization/Project Manager. close collaboration with the Director, GSSU and in direct consultation with Office for Human Resources, the Human Resources Specialist contributes to the review, design, development and rollout of the Standard Operating Procedures, supporting the corporate change in business model, during the global clustering of administrative support services in GSSU. These activities will require consultation and collaboration with relevant stakeholders, ensuring that appropriate controls are in place, in line with corporate standards and best practice, as may be required to help ensure the successful global transition to the new model.
- Manage the review of existing business process maps, SOPs and workflow tools to identify and propose remedies for bottlenecks and other pain points based on the existing pilot project.
- Review and propose amendments to existing and new business process maps, SOPs and workflow tools as part of the clustering process in respect of the review of the UNDP Internal Control Framework.
- Work with GSSU clients and stakeholders to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the new business process maps, SOPs and workflow tools through supporting documentation, guidelines, webinars and workshops in support of accelerated programme delivery.
- Ensure synergies among various business units’ interests and addresses emerging needs through regular mechanisms.
- Liaise with all stakeholders to develop learning/training sessions and other communication channels, during the development, drafting and finalization of the processes.
- Prepare relevant documents and other documentation pertaining to the various processes, as required by various stakeholders.
- Work with Regional Project Managers and designated regional Human Resources focal points to ensure consistency in adopting SOPs and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Work with GPOs to ensure SOPs and processes adopted in line with new business model.
- Support implementation of appropriate innovation strategies that contribute to enhanced support of business processes and controls in the context of the target operating model.
- Support development and implementation of coherent knowledge management platform that aims at facilitating gathering, processing, codifying and use of knowledge required for the effective operation of the operating model.
- Advocate for regular knowledge building and sharing initiatives, including webinars and other forms of knowledge dissemination.
- Advise and actively contribute to knowledge networks and the community of practice on business processes, SOPs and workflow tools.
- An advanced university degree (Master`s) in Human Resources, Business Administration, International Relations, Social Sciences, Psychology or a directly-related technical area(s) is required.
- 7 years of management experience, including implementing new business processes.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and formulate corporate policies, procedures and business processes;
- Solid understanding of UNDP policies and procedures
- Working experience at the Country Office is required;
- In-depth knowledge of the ERP, Peoplesoft preferred. Experience of working with ERP systems on a global basis.
- Strong written and spoken English language skills. Fluency in a second UN language is highly desirable
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension