Creative Associates seeks a Human Resources (HR) Manager for an upcoming USAID-funded program in Afghanistan, focusing on women's economic development through the creation of business enabling environments that enable women to enter the formal economy. The project will focus on building systems to support services for female job seekers and business owners, improving their knowledge and skills and providing increased access to finance and job markets. The HR Manager will be responsible for assisting with all field-based HR and administration issues regarding national and international staff. This includes the coordination and completion of all recruitment processes. S/he will manage local national staff benefits as well as other related tasks as assigned. S/he is also responsible for providing overall administrative support to senior management on decision making regarding HR issues and ensures smooth flow of work throughout the project.
Reporting & Supervision:
Reporting directly to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the HR Manager will support the management of a field team and offices for implementation of the program. S/he will liaise with the relevant regional HR managers on related corporate human resources matters.
- Coordinate and conduct recruitment functions; communicate with department representatives to establish the development of job descriptions/announcements including opening and closing dates and develops and places advertisements;
- Manage HR office operations ensuring compliance with Creative and USAID HR rules and regulations and meeting all requirements and deadlines pertaining to HR in a timely manner;
- Manage the hiring process, in conjunction with senior management, to coordinate the screening of applications, interview process, and development of selection tools; performs reference checks, etc. and sends appropriate correspondence to all applicants in a timely manner.
- Work with project managers to ensure timely hire/renewal of consultants under project grants, ensuring required documentation is obtained;
- Develop, establish and update the Employee Manual, Internal Regulations, HR Policies, Performance Appraisals, the Employment Agreement and Consultancy Contracts;
- Develop, maintain and update, if necessary, human resources systems in collaboration with the DCOP;
- Within scope of responsibility, provides information and general assistance to the employees regarding human resources policies and procedures; answer questions and provide information regarding interpretation of rules, problem solving, general advices and recruitment issues;
- Serve as liaison with DCOP Operations/General Ops Manager to local legal services to advise on HR employee issues involving local labor law and grievances;
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster a positive attitude towards organizational objectives;
- Responsible for coordinating staff training and establishing staff development plans based on staff appraisals and evaluations;
- Provide training to local staff on HR policies and procedures contained in the Host Country National Manual and Handbook;
- Prepare various forms of HR correspondence including letters, memos, tracking sheets, bulletins, announcements, training and capacity building plans and memoranda; updates various charts;
- Advise managers on deadlines for 90-day probation status, employee performance evaluations, and personnel action forms;
- Receive and log various grievances or complaints from employees; consult legal counsel on difficult cases and provide options prior to forwarding complaints to management for review;
- Provide information and general assistance to employees regarding human resource policies and procedures and respond to employee questions and provides information regarding interpretation of HCN employee rules;
- Provide administrative decision-making support and leadership to resolve employee problems; counsel employees and supervisors concerning performance and disciplinary matters; review and provide recommendations on a case by case basis;
- Provide administrative support to HR and Administration Department in all HR functions;
- Coordinate employee recognition activities such as service awards, employee-of-the month, etc. in consultation with senior management;
- Provide oversight to HR staff on organization and update of personnel files and other related HR documents including employment agreements, amendments, time sheets, calendar holidays and leaves, ensuring confidentiality;
- Liaise with health and life insurance Company to provide required benefits to local employees;
- Supervise subordinate HR and administration position;
- Conduct HR employee performance appraisals;
- Organize and evaluate office production and procedures and create processes to manage work flow;
- Provide direction and oversight to the maintenance of the HR information system; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree related to human resources, administration, or business administration, plus five (5) years' work experience in a related field;
- Certification in human resources (PHR, SPHR, GPHR) is considered a plus;
- Multi-tasker with positive attitude;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Considerable knowledge of local employment law is a plus;
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc;
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills and the ability to correspond effectively via electronic methods; and
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Dari and Pashto.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.