Working to support disadvantaged young people or hiking the Inca trail? Why not do both!?
Get the best of both worlds for a volunteering opportunity where you give your skills and experience, rather than your money.
Are you looking for a break from the 9-5? Or with the end of your studies finally in sight you might be wondering what exactly it is that you are supposed to do now? Or are you looking to do a year abroad as part of your studies, or even before you start your studies, in an exciting and challenging environment? Instead of choosing between travelling and working - why not do both?
When volunteering with LAFF your skills will be put to good use and you will have the opportunity to work directly with beneficiaries, gain valuable field experience and increased awareness of International Development issues. Based in beautiful Peru, on the doorstep of Machu Picchu, this is also a great chance to practice and improve your Spanish language fluency. After being supported into your new role through our pre-departure and in-country induction, you will work in Cusco as a valued member of our small team of enthusiastic and skilled professionals from around the globe, under the guidance and supervision of our Programme Manager. What better way of gaining valuable work experience in the field than taking on this challenging and CV-boosting professional role!
The Latin American foundation for the Future (LAFF) is a UK-based charity supporting marginalised children and young people in Peru. We work through local partner organisations in Cusco and support activities and projects in the areas of formal education; vocational skills and personal development; sustainability, including income generation, cost reduction and capacity building. We strive to empower our beneficiaries enabling them to become independent and sustainable.
Mosqoy is one of LAFF’s partner organisations. This is a grassroots organization that works towards global sustainability and resilience by empowering local culture. It works with rural Quechua populations in the Andean mountains of Peru. We believe in empowering local communities through international solidarity and networking, sharing stories of celebration, struggle, and strength.
LAFF seeks a skilled individual for a full-time volunteering position.
Position Title: Human Resources Coordinator Location: Cusco, Peru
Employment Type: Full-time
Leave: 2 days per month
Application Deadline: Ongoing Duration: 3-6 months
LAFF’s organisational capacity building programme aims to ensure that all of LAFF’s partners have the organisational capacity to follow their objectives. The Human Resources Coordinator will help create a human resources strategy for our partner organisation Mosqoy, that is aligned with their values and culture, assisting them primarily in the ongoing recruitment of qualified applicants for positions available as well as establishing a foundation for future recruitment processes. This position will involve an approximation of 80 percent of time spent with Mosqoy and 20 percent spent with LAFF.
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the Human Resources Coordinator will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Consult with our partner organisation Mosqoy in the establishment of a human resources strategy
- Consult with our partner organisation Mosqoy in the creation of a sustainable recruitment process
- Advise and assist our partner organisation Mosqoy on technical tools needed to maintain their human resources objectives.
- Support our partner organisation Mosqoy in various recruitment tasks
- Provide hands-on support to LAFF and Mosqoy when necessary
- Network and forge links with other relevant stakeholders and organisations (universities, local government institutions, other NGOs)
- Support LAFF in team meetings and team events when necessary
- Contribute to LAFF’s blog
- Undergraduate degree (or currently enrolled) in human resources, administration, management, or a related field, or experience working in a similar role
- Experience in Human Resources and/or volunteer recruitment highly desirable.
- 6 months of professional and/or volunteer experience in the NGO sector highly desirable
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Spanish required
- Excellent interpersonal and written and spoken communication skills
- Highly organised, flexible, independent, culturally sensitive and detail orientated with the ability to multitask
- Desirable: Experience living/working abroad for an extended period
- Desirable: Knowledge or experience working with, and engaging, children and young people
We are looking for motivated self starters who are able to work independently as well as being good team players. A non-judgemental approach and commitment to learning is essential, as well as a positive outlook and preparedness for the realities of volunteering in a Latin American country.