Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies. For its Hivos seeks qualified candidates for the position of:
Title : Consultant of Media Fellowship and Media Engagement
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Report to : Regional Advocacy Officer Green & Inclusive Energy
Duration : 4 (four) months – March to June 2020
Strategic Partnership Green and Inclusive Energy is a programme that is initiated by Hivos, supported by the Netherlands’ Government, to enable more civil society organizations to do lobby and advocacy in the area of Green and Inclusive Energy. The programme was started since 2016, where in Indonesia, it involves three national CSOs as the core team of the programme, and designed to outreach non-energy CSOs, media, and wider public, including the Government on Green and Inclusive Energy.
We believe that media has an important role not only through their impact, but also their technical capacity to influence many people. Therefore, media fellowship and engagement need to be done. Building the journalists’ capacity and engaging media will strengthen them on the topics of Green and Inclusive Energy. Therefore, Hivos supports journalists through a media fellowship and engagement to improve the advocacy and awareness raising of Green and Inclusive Energy.
In 2019, Hivos has conducted the first phase of Media Fellowship in 3 regions: East Nusa Tenggara, Central Java, and DKI Jakarta. We found that there are needs and interests for journalists to learn more about renewable energy and how it contributes to the increased livelihood of communities as well as the importance of inclusivity to be highlighted. Build upon the results, Hivos decided to conduct another phase of Media Fellowship in other three regions from the followings: South Sulawesi, West Nusa Tenggara, West Java, East Java, Yogyakarta, and North Sumatera.
The objective of the activities are as follows :
For Media fellowship
The objectives of the media fellowship are the following:
The key objective is to increase capacity of journalists on inclusive renewable energy in Indonesia; current status and its development, including best practices;
To provide a platform for journalists to access information and knowledge on green and inclusive energy from various stakeholders;
To enable journalists to write about green and inclusive energy in Indonesia and capture the stories of renewable energy impacts to livelihood
For Media engagement
Media engagement in here can be in form of media briefing and/or media learning forum. We expect to have in minimum two media engagement sessions.
The consultant is expected to:
Workshop and media fellowship Activities
1) A preliminary study and mapping on GIE topic and work plan for workshop and media fellowship
2) Workshop implementation in three regions, including participants’ pre- and post-tests
3) Media fellowship implementation in three regions, including a coaching clinic on how to write an article about renewable energy
4) A book contains all narratives of journalistic reporting results
5) A short video
6) Network and relationship with the media, government, CSOs
7) E-learning forum with monthly discussion, such as weminar
8) Narrative report
Media briefing and knowledge exchange
1) Implementation of two media briefing, materials (stories, handout), and visibility
2) Network and relationship with the media, government, CSOs
3) Narrative report
4. Qualifications and Experiences :
- Individual, team or organizations are eligible to apply
- At least 3 years of working experience with the media in Indonesia
- Ability to engage media and journalists
- An in-depth understanding and experience on journalism capacity in article writing on Renewable Energy
- Knowledge of and current topics on green and inclusive energy, as well as Hivos’ approach
- Capacity to produce training materials
- Able to travel to conduct training and other relevant activities in Indonesia
- The candidate must submit a proposal which describes the background of the work, proposed activities, workplan, proposed working area (maximum three among the six provinces above)
5. Other Information
All materials and activity must contain and consider Renewable Energy and includes gender relevance, as well as linkages with political, economic, social, technological, environmental and legal angles.
The workshop shall reach about 30 journalists and the fellowship shall involve 15 journalists in total in three regions of Hivos working areas. Balance among participants should be taken into account in terms of gender, age, and distribution of media type.