Can you use your health expertise to shape our humanitarian health response?
UK-Med is a humanitarian NGO that has been responding to disasters for thirty years. We train medical teams, both in the UK and worldwide, so they are ready to respond when epidemics, conflict and natural disasters hit. When Ebola struck West Africa in 2014 we recruited and trained UK doctors and nurses who helped local medical teams and other NGOs to bring the outbreak under control. We are core partners, providing the clinical component of the UK Emergency Medical Team (UK EMT) in line with WHO standards.
We are seeking a small number of health professionals to join us as part-time Health Referents to build on the health expertise in our core team. Our core Health Team has significant expertise in humanitarian healthcare, and has always brought in additional expert support through consultancies when required. Following a period of significant growth, we are looking to bring specific expertise into the core team on an ongoing basis through a group of part-time Health Referents.
Our Health Referents will bring specific technical expertise in a variety of health fields to ensure that UK-Med’s programme design and implementation remains in line with current best practice.
As a Health Referent, you will provide clinical / technical health expertise and advice, contributing to our work through:
- Advising and guiding our health teams in humanitarian contexts in their planning and work
- Helping in the design of SoPs, policies and guidance documents from your field of expertise
- Developing capacity building interventions (e.g. training sessions, online learning packages, coaching) to develop skills of UK-Med personnel and our partners (e.g. Ministry of Health staff, other NGOs)
- Helping to ensure we have the right people working in humanitarian responses by shaping role descriptions, person specifications, selection interview questions and model answers
- Working on programme design and proposal preparation for work linked to your expertise
- Contribution to quality assurance and after action reviews of health activities
Our ideal candidates will be highly skilled health professionals with significant experience of humanitarian health responses. You will be flexible enough to respond to urgent requests, and able to deliver against longer-term objectives, while working independently with minimal guidance.
We offer competitive remuneration and benefits along with a friendly working environment and the opportunity to make a real difference through your work.