The Health Information Systems (HIS) Lead will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic vision for electronic systems used to collect, manage, analyze, report, visualize, and disseminate data collected for ICAP’s CDC-funded proposed project Technical Assistance to Government of Tanzania (GOT) and Public Health Institutions (PHIs) toward Sustained Health Systems Strengthening in Tanzania under the Global Health Security Agenda and PEPFAR (CDC-RFA-GH20-2063). The HIS Lead will oversee and participate in the creation, maintenance, and advancement of project applications and HIS. The incumbent will also oversee the activities of the informatics team and work with end-users to deliver technical solutions that meet their requirements.
The position is contingent upon availability of grant funding.
- Ensures the effective implementation and coordination of project activities and monitors progress toward the achievement of project goals and objectives.
- Oversees the development of innovative approaches to strengthening HIS (e.g., aggregate, electronic medical record, laboratory, and human resource information systems) including:
- Design and implementation of context-specific needs assessments
- Development and execution of roadmaps for new and existing HIS to support data collection, management, visualization, and use
- Provision of technical assistance to improve HIS policy, governance, and infrastructure
- Development of strategies to increase informatics workforce capacity
- Establishment of data security and confidentiality standards
- Leads the design of interventions while ensuring the quality and maximum sustainability of all initiatives through effective training and capacity building programs for local stakeholders who will use HIS to improve service delivery and data for evidence-based decision making.
- Supports detailed system analyses of site-level clinical services for current and future state and use of systems analysis products to support patient-centered services.
- Manages an independent evaluation of different technical solution alternatives to address future state requirements.
- Oversees technical assistance activities and training to the Government of Tanzania’s (GOT) Public Health Institutions (PHI) HIS-related work.
- Supports HIS-related continuous quality improvement (CQI) efforts.
- Informs policy development to support strengthening HIS.
- Supports activities, outputs, and outcomes related to project management and administration.
- Supports the use of data to track program quality, program outcomes, and through targeted evaluations, assess the programmatic impact on project goals, in partnership with the Strategic Information (SI) Unit.
- Troubleshoots to prevent and resolve potential problems, reviews outputs for quality control.
- An advanced degree in computer science, health informatics, data analytics, public health, or related discipline.
Experience, Skills, and Minimum Qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the design, implementation, and management of HIV or related public health programs, including experience in overseeing health information system projects.
- A minimum of 5 years of senior-level experience with systems analysis, health enterprise architecture, expertise with client-level data systems, data security and protection of personal identifying information, and HIS Team Lead.
- Demonstrated experience with HIS development, including developing tools that incorporate various analytic visualization methodologies such as trend charts and maps.
- Demonstrated experience working with large, health-related datasets.
- Demonstrated experience presenting data in a variety of tabular and visual formats.
- Exhibit a high level of diplomacy while working with government partners at the national or regional levels in resource-constrained settings.
- Strong familiarity and command of USG regulations and compliance.
- Written and spoken English proficiency.