The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC's Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution's humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The incumbent will contribute to the implementing, running and monitoring of the Health Care in Detention (HCD) programme and support in access to health care for civilians, in cooperation with the ICRC protection team, with external cooperation with with Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) and Kenya Prison Service (KPS), according to the objectives set out in the delegations annual planning.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Responsible for implementing health programmes in prisons following the objectives and framework developed by the ICRC in partnership with KRCS in support of health services in prisons;
· Assists the HCD delegate in capacity building with KRCS and KPS in terms of public health approach to health care in prison;
· Liaises with KPS authorities as needed under the guidance of the HCD delegate;
· Assists in the organization and planning of meetings/trainings as needed with KPS and KRCS in line with the programmes objectives;
· Accompanies the HCD delegate to prison visits and will assist with interpretation when needed with beneficiaries;
· Ensures all relevant health and prison related information within the country and will advise the detention team of any relevant developments;
· Responsible for follow up of all logistic orders, distribution and monitoring of same;
· Responsible for contributing to internal/external reporting as required;
· Contributes to the duty of care of the detention team;
· Supports Budget management;
· Participates in internal and external reporting;
· Assumes the HCD Programme Manager responsibilities in his/her absence.
Minimum Requirements and competencies
· Bachelor of Science Degree in nursing or other relevant qualification from a recognized institution;
· Minimum 5 years’ clinical professional experience in a similar field with good references;
· Registration Certificate issued by the Nursing Council of Kenya;
· Valid practicing license from the Nursing Council of Kenya;
· Experience in medical data collection and processing;
· Mental Health knowledge is an asset;
· Certificate of good conduct.