Health Care Financing Specialist
Reports to: Director of Technical Assistance
Location: Somewhat flexible, but requires considerable travel and significant portion of the year in Bamako.
Muso is a rapidly growing global health organization, committed that no one should die waiting for health care. Muso partners with government to design, build, test, and scale proactive health care systems. Recently published studies have documented order of magnitude improvements in access to care and child survival in communities Muso serves. These are outlier, extraordinary changes. But they shouldn’t be. The death of a child should be rare everywhere. To make this kind of change the new normal, Muso commits to growing its services over the next five years, through direct health care delivery, research to drive forward the global effort, and technical assistance to governments and their partners, within and beyond Mali. In February, the President of Mali committed to a bold national health care reform, to remake the country’s health care system in the community and at the health center level for Mali’s 19 million people. The government of Mali has asked Muso to provide technical support as they now embark upon designing and delivering this historic change. Learn more about our work at www.musohealth.org
About the Position
To this end, Muso is creating a new Technical Assistance Team. This new team will support governments and NGOs to implement methods that Muso has tested, in pursuit of our common goals of universal health care, maternal health and child survival. The Health Care Financing Specialist will occupy a central role on this team, reporting to the Director of Technical Assistance. The Health Care Financing Specialist will provide accompaniment to the Malian Ministry of Health as well as to other government or NGO partners that engage Muso for technical assistance—supporting costing analyses, comparing risks and benefits of different financing mechanisms based on published research, and assessing potential financing pathways. The Health Care Financing Specialist will be a partner who works in a spirit of solidarity and service, assisting partners from design through planning and implementation. Through their service, the Health Care Financing Specialist will have the opportunity to plan a critical role in pursuing access to health care for tens of millions of people, and advancing the global movement for health equity.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
· Improve and conduct new costing analyses of strategies that Muso tests through its work and research;
· Support partners in conducting costing analyses of strategies they aim to implement;
· In collaboration with other members of the Muso Technical Assistance team and Partnerships team, help partners to understand the value and trade-offs of investing in particular strategies;
· Support partners to create financing roadmaps, laying out how different funding sources could be mobilized and aligned; support partners in creating related collateral to engage with the Ministry of Finance and other partners;
· Conduct evidence-based comparative analysis of different mechanisms for implementing user fee removal and for paying for the other elements of Muso’s Proactive Community Case Management (ProCCM) strategies. Accompany partners in evaluating risks and benefits of each option within their context;
· Analyze existing financing opportunities in each local context and propose scalable health care financing solutions adapted to each context ;
· Support the planning, implementation, and evaluation of new health care financing strategies by partners;
· Engage and collaborate with other key partners and allies in the space, including the Financing Alliance for Health, Aspen Management Partners, the Community Health Impact Coalition, and the Clinton Health Access Initiative;
· Stay up-to-date with the health care financing research literature, to ensure that Muso’s guidance derives from a rigorous evidence base;
· Create monthly reports on progress of her/his efforts, as well as additional reports and proposals as needed for specific engagements;
· Meet weekly with the Technical Assistance Director, and collaborate closely with other members of the Muso team.
· A commitment to universal health care, maternal-child survival, and equitable, just health systems;
· Ability to go in listening, with humility, in a spirit of solidarity and service;
· Proficiency in both French and English strongly preferred;
· Training in costing analysis, health care financing, and health care systems;
· A deep knowledge of comparative mechanisms for health care financing and the research behind each major approach;
· Experience and ability to analyze health care financing mechanisms and conduct costing analyses;
· Experience providing technical assistance and support with a partnership approach;
· Resilience and grit; the ability to persevere in the face of many challenges;
· Capacity to self-manage time and deliver consistently, with quality, on deadline;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Ability to travel as needed for partnership engagements.