Creative Associates seeks a Grants Manager for the anticipated Liberia LEAD project. Based in Monrovia, Liberia, the Grants Manager will provide administrative and technical guidance and support to the Project Director and remotely oversee local grants staff to administer small fixed amount awards to local civil society organizations (CSOs) throughout Liberia.
The USAID Liberia mission intends to fund the five-year Liberia Elections and Democracy (LEAD) Activity to cultivate accountable elected representatives who govern in the interest of their constituents.
Reporting and Supervision:
The Grants Manager will report to the Chief of Party.
- Provide technical support to the LEAD team in conducting an initial screening of applications to sift out ineligible applicants;
- In coordination with the LEAD team, coordinate the process of preparing grant agreements for successful applicants;
- Provide advisory assistance to CSO grant applicants and assist in the review of grant submissions;
- Facilitate the evaluation of grant submissions for technical and budget soundness and compliance with donor regulations, recommending award actions to the project team;
- Oversee and support grant programming implementation by LEAD's sub-grantees in target countries – ensuring timely and compliant implementation of grant activities, milestones, and deliverables;
- Coordinate the issuance of awards and maintain grant documentation through the development and upkeep of a grants database;
- Assist with the preparation of scheduled and special reports, studies and analyses regarding the small grants program implemented in the target countries;
- Manage project grants using Creative's online grants management system, the System for Managing Activities, Reporting and Tracking (SMART);
- Support grantees and colleagues in the use of SMART through training and mentoring, as needed;
- Prepare scheduled and special reports, studies and analyses regarding the grants program, as needed;
- Develop grant guidelines, processes, and procedures, training staff members on these procedures, and addressing all grant related questions; and
Work closely with Creative Associates' headquarters grants department, as needed.
Bachelor's degree in management, financial analysis or accounting desirable; Master's degree preferred;
At least six (6) years of experience with sub-grants management, preferably in West Africa; 8 years of working in international development;
Strong understanding of USAID regulations and procedures pertaining to grants management, and ability to interpret and explain USAID regulations;
Demonstrated ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects;
Ability to analyze technical and cost proposals and prepare reports and recommendations on whether applicants should be funded or not;
Ability to analyze budget line items for compliance with budget guidelines;
Proven records maintenance and database management skills; and
Fluency in English is required.