About the IAS:
The International AIDS Society (IAS) leads collective action on every front of the global HIV response through its membership base, scientific authority and convening power. Founded in 1988, the IAS is the world’s largest association of HIV professionals, with members in more than 170 countries. Working with its members, the IAS advocates and drives urgent action to reduce the impact of HIV. The IAS is also the steward of the world’s most prestigious HIV conferences: the International AIDS Conference, the IAS Conference on HIV Science, and the HIV Research for Prevention Conference.
The IAS promotes and invests in HIV advocacy and research on key issue areas through our strategic programmes, initiatives, and campaigns that advocate for urgent action to reduce the global impact of HIV, including increased investment in HIV cure research; optimizing treatment and care for infants, children and adolescents with HIV in resource-limited settings; preventing and treating HIV-related co-infections; and expanding access to prevention, treatment and care for key populations vulnerable to HIV acquisition – such as men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs, sex workers and transgender people – including protecting their human rights by combatting punitive laws and discriminatory policies.
More information on IAS can be found at www.iasociety.org.
Details of Internship:
The Governance, Membership and Learning Intern will be based at the IAS Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland and will report to the Membership and Learning Officer and the Project Manager, IAS Educational Fund. The internship is full-time, to start ideally during the week commencing on 24 February 2020 and finish on 31 July 2020 (5 months).
Purpose of the Internship:
The IAS Governance, Membership and Learning Intern will support the IAS Governance, Membership and Learning team in their day-to-day activities. These activities include supporting the IAS Educational Fund programme (meetings, webinars, learning resources); the preparation of member-related meetings and events in conjunction with regional meetings and the International AIDS Conference; assisting in the coordination of the 2020 IAS Governing Council elections; playing a key role in the facilitation of the implementation of a new membership platform; and supporting membership related activities, including recruitment, retention and re-engagement efforts.
Governance and Membership
- Provide support to membership campaigns, including recruitment, retention and re-engagement efforts, as well as the #IASONEVOICE campaign:
· Background research/benchmarking
· Data sourcing and cleaning
· Drafting stories
· Transcribing audio/video files
- Provide support to the development and implementation of IAS membership strategies:
· Provide support to the development of new IAS membership tools and projects
· Help to prepare and analyse member related surveys
- Assist in the improvement of membership data:
· Support the implementation of a new Customer Relationship Management system
- Assist in the preparation of communications related to IAS membership:
· Participate in the planning of the team editorial calendar
· Participate in the planning and drafting of social media posts
· Help to prepare the teams newsletters
- Prepare for the team’s participation in the 23rd International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2020) in San Francisco and Oakland on 6-10 July 2020 and other regional meetings and conferences:
· Exhibition logistics
· Preparation of materials for the IAS General Members’ Meeting and regional members’ meetings at AIDS 2020
· Member outreach prior to the event
Assist with the coordination of the 2020 IAS Governing Council elections
Correspond with IAS Members on a daily basis by email/phone, and follow up on requests
Prepare statistics/reports/presentations for meetings, as required.
IAS Educational Fund
- Support the preparation of and follow up from IAS Educational Fund workshops, symposia and experts/implementers meetings organized internationally including assistance with:
· Meeting logistics in collaboration with a regional partner
· Preparation of pre-reading material selection
· Coordination of travel arrangements for speakers and key participants
· Post-meeting material distribution and publication on the IAS website
· Survey analysis and reporting
- Assist with the planning and delivery of new IAS Educational Fund webinars
· Coordination of webinar logistics with speakers and participants
· Post webinar material on the IAS website
· Webinars survey analysis
- Support communication activities pertaining to the IAS Educational Fund
· Draft monthly newsletters
· Coordinate website updates.
Perform any additional tasks as requested by the Membership and Learning Officer and the Project Manager, IAS Educational Fund.
· Currently studying or recently graduated in social science, public health, development, international relations, international education or a related field is favourable. Candidates expressing a keen interest in this area of work will also be considered.
Experience: (previous internships)
· Experience in administration, project management, communication, and event organization
· Experience working in a culturally diverse environment.
· Highly organized and systematic, with meticulous attention to detail
· A*bility to analyse* and summarize large amounts of information and data
· Strong time management skills, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure and to meet deadlines
· Ability to work independently, and have an aptitude for multi-tasking
· Strong diplomatic skills and customer service attitude
· Strong writing skills
· Advanced social media skills (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter)
· Advanced computer skills in the Windows environment (particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
· Eager to learn, hands-on attitude and solution oriented
· Available to travel for the International AIDS Conference (6-10 July 2020)
· Webinar and e-learning experience an advantage.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
· Advanced level of French, Spanish, Portuguese or Russian language is beneficial.
Benefits from this Internship:
The intern can expect to gain skills and experience in the following areas:
· Event planning
· Relationship building
· Business communications
· Database management
Stipend: 2’000.- CHF/month gross (full-time).
How to Apply:
This internship is ideally suited to qualified, motivated and eager-to-learn graduates willing to prepare their professional life in challenging and dynamic settings, with high international exposure.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, 5 February 2020. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only candidates from Switzerland, from an EU/EFTA country or candidates already having a valid Swiss working permit will be considered.
IAS employees are evidence-based, human rights-focused, inclusive and accountable partners in the HIV response. Candidates should display genuine commitment to IAS values (learn more here).
The IAS is committed to recruiting and sustaining a skilled, effective, diverse and gender-balanced secretariat, and to the greater involvement of people living with HIV (GIPA) in all aspects of its work. People living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.