The climate change, manifesting in the form of intensified cyclones, storm surges, and sea-level rise (SLR), is accelerating saltwater intrusion into the fresh water resources of the coastal belt of Bangladesh. Climate change-induced soil and water salinity is projected to adversely impact freshwater dependent agricultural livelihoods (leading to loss of productivity or livelihoods) as well as the availability and quality of drinking water in the vulnerable coastal communities. Furthermore, given the crucial role that women play in water security and household level resilience, and their socio-economic marginalization, the climate change-induced threat to agricultural livelihoods and drinking water security of the affected coastal communities disproportionately affects women and girls.
The objective of the Project is to support the Government of Bangladesh in strengthening the adaptive capacities of coastal communities, especially women, to cope with impacts of climate change-induced salinity on their livelihoods and water security. GCF resources will be combined with GoB co-financing to address information, technical, financial and institutional barriers to implementing and managing resilient livelihoods and drinking water solutions for the vulnerable communities in the Southwestern coastal districts of Khulna and Satkhira. An estimated 719,229 people (about 245,516 direct and 473,713 indirect) will benefit from the project interventions. The objective will be achieved through the implementation of the following three outputs:
Output 1: Climate resilient livelihoods, focusing on women, for enhanced adaptive capacities of coastal agricultural communities;
Output 2: Gender-responsive access to year-round, safe and reliable climate-resilient drinking water solutions; and
Output 3: Strengthened institutional capacities knowledge and learning for climate-risk informed management of livelihoods and drinking water security;
Under the overall guidance of Programme Manager and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Gender Specialist advises on gender policies and trends and relevant linkages to the project and UNDP programmes. The Gender Specialist provides analysis for formulation of strategies and policies for the project. The Gender Specialist advocates for and represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor.
The Gender Specialist functions and responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
• Advice and support to the project coordinator and other members of the project management unit to ensure achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment
• Advice policy and facilitation of knowledge building on gender issues
• Management of the gender specific project activities and supervision of the project team
• Develop/ facilitate strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
• Advocacy and promotion of UNDP's mandate and mission towards gender equality
Under the direct Supervision of the Project Coordinator the incumbent will do the following activities:
Provides advice and support to GCF funded programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advise on, and develop strategies to address, gender issues in the project, in consultation with Project Coordinator;
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of gender issues and statistical data, thorough research and preparation of top quality analysis and reports.
- Produce high-quality analysis and advocacy documents for the project on gender issues as required;
- Provision of top-quality gender analysis and substantive inputs to relevant strategic documents.
- Advice on possible areas for project support and adjustment of on-going project activities to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities.
- Production and launch of gender reports.
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to gender issues.
- Represent the project in different working groups and interagency working groups related to gender.
Carry on activities to achieve gender-specific targets as per the project document and Results Framework;
Provides policy advice and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitates knowledge building and mainstreaming of gender in related perspectives within UNDP programmes and actively participates in corporate UNDP knowledge creation.
- Providing contextual background for policy advisory papers and briefing notes including research, collecting field level quality data and analysis of data using gender lens;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Advisory support to UNDP programmes and projects to ensure that they are responsive to national policies, priorities and strategic plans, and advance UNDP's corporate goals.
- Assessment of the country's gender policies and their impact on and linkage with poverty reduction, growth, equity, solution to climate change vulnerabilities etc.
Training and capacity building support for UNDP staff and Government officials, public institutions on gender issues.
Ensures effective management of the Project activities and gender specific portfolio focusing on quality control of the full project cycle through achieving the following results:
- Effective application of Results Based Management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of Project activities within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into national interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the project activities and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Quarterly reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
- Support the project with all relevant information to assist the project and resilience building and inclusive growth cluster with gender-related case statistics and success stories collected from fields;
- Provide necessary support to short-term consultants to ensure timely and quality delivery of their tasks as and when required;
- Spend at least 30% of his/her time in field, ensuring implementation is as per the work plan and targets and quality assurance of those interventions;
Ensure regular support, follow-up, and monitoring of the planning, development, and implementation of project activities on gender issues;
Ensures developing strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Production of periodic updates and briefs on country development situation to be used by stakeholders, CO and HQ.
- Undertaking of selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that feed into government/development partners processes;
- Management of events and publications on gender issues.;
Provide necessary support to manage training programmes, conferences and workshop/seminars at national and local level;
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the project activities.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Integration in a multidisciplinary environment
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners, and building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Developing and implementing conceptually innovative approaches to the provision of technical expertise.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Adaptation and application of knowledge
Master's Degree in social science especially gender studies, development studies or relevant discipline;
The candidate should possess the following qualification to compete for the announced position:
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience, preferably with some experience in the UN system will be added value.;
- Experience in Gender and Social assessments;
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis;
- Substantial experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of gender projects;
- Experience in the context of development of GCF funded projects is an advantage;
Demonstrated track record in the preparation of documents, project proposals, evaluation reports, etc.
Excellent written and oral communication in English, including excellent drafting and presentation skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Note: UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, ethnicity and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and people living with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Contract Duration: Initialy one year extendable upon satisfactory performance and availability of fund