For more than four decades, FAO has been working with the Government of the Philippines, civil society, community-based organizations and the private sector to address challenges in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector. Joint efforts have included increasing sustainability in agricultural production, promoting value-adding practices, improving post-harvest management, enhancing productivity and increasing the resilience of agriculture-based livelihoods to natural disasters, climatic hazards and armed conflict.
The Specialist will report to the Assistant FAO Representative in the Philippines (Programme).
The Specialist will support the project to improve the awareness of forests and the benefits of their sustainable management among children in the Philippines by contributing to the development of three teaching modules for children aged 9-12. The forestry and project coordination Specialist will work closely with the FAO Project Team, the Philippine Education Consultant, and the education expert from Schutzgemeinschaft Deutscher Wald (SDW) to ensure the modules are relevant to the national context and will coordinate a pilot of the modules in two schools. The Specialist will also contribute to the technical content of the forest education modules that will be produced under the project.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Coordinate with the Project Management Unit in the Forest Management Bureau and with other concerned offices of the DENR and DepEd to also ensure that the modules developed are integrated in the primary school curriculum;
• Provide forest-related technical inputs to support the development and/or adaptation of the forest education modules to the Philippine context, including drafting text, identifying pictures and compiling references for the background information included in the modules;
• Participate and assist in the organization of the initial validation workshop with the Department of Education of the modules and draft a detailed meeting report;
• Participate and assist in the organization of an national stakeholders validation of the modules and draft a detailed meeting report;
• Participate and assist in the quality assurance reviews of the modules and draft a detailed meeting report;
• Participate and assist in the pilot testing of the modules and draft a detailed meeting report;
• Participate and assist in the organization of a regional workshop for the sharing of the guidance publication for adapting the modules for use in other countries;
• Coordinate and participate in the conduct of a photo mission for the collection of pictures to be included in the education modules (if needed);
• Coordinate with Philippine project team members to ensure timely and quality delivery of outputs;
• Review technical documents, reports and relevant data related to support to project development; and process requirements for project cycle management and technical clearances; and
• Perform any other task that may be assigned by the FAO Representative and the Forestry Officer (Capacity Building and Outreach).
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree (Master Degree preferred) in forestry, or other related courses;
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in project coordination;
• Working knowledge (Level C) of English;
• A National or a Resident of Philippines.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical/ Functional Skills
• Experience in the development of forest-related learning materials, preferably for elementary students;
• Ability to co-ordinate with internal and external partners, and the ability to work with a high level of independence;