Job ID: 34845
Practice Area - Job Family: Management
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 05/02/2021
Duty Station: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 4 year(s) experience
Languages: English, Russian
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 6 months with possible extension
open for Kyrgyzstan Nationals only
Starting from January 2011, as per decision of the Country Multisectoral Coordination Committee (CMCC) and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria (GFATM), the United Nations Development Programme in Kyrgyzstan has become Principal Recipient (PR) of three Global Fund’s grants. UNDP has set up Grants Implementation Unit which is responsible for implementation of all GFATM grants in Kyrgyzstan for which UNDP is Principal Recipient. The new Unit includes various programme, procurement, finance and M&E staff.
As a member of Grants Implementation Unit (GIU), the Finance Specialist, under the direct supervision of the Finance Manager will be responsible for ensuring the highest efficiency of GFATM grants financial management.
The Finance Specialist will process all GFATM related payments in line with UNDP procedures, tabulate and track all relevant financial reports- EFR, Sub-recipients reports, and LFA requested information.
The initial assignment is for 6 months subject to further extension based on annual performance evaluation and funds availability.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Full compliance with the rules, regulations and policies of UN/UNDP financial activities, registration/financial reporting system; implementation of effective internal controls, proper operation of a client-oriented financial resource management system.
- Contribution to financial planning including budgeting;
- Contribution to effective and accurate financial management of GF grants and oversight in line with GF/UNDP regulations;
- Contribution to development of finance-related reports and regular updates on the grants financial delivery;
- Implementation of operational strategies and procedures related to finances within the scope of responsibilities;
- Regularly monitor reports of financial exceptions for unusual activities and transactions and investigate unusual anomalies or transactions. Inform the supervisor of the survey results when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Knowledge sharing;
- Assists the Finance Manager in financial management of the Global Fund’s grants funds;
- Responsible for the financial management of sub recipients assigned to his/her portfolio, including timeliness and correctness of financial reports and transferring next instalments;
- Provides advice and guidance to sub recipients and contractors concerning preparation of financial documentation;
- Ensures proper records of accounts and expenditures;
- Ensures that all transactions are executed in accordance with pertinent procedures;
- Contributes to preparation of periodic financial reports for the GF, the CCM and UNDP;
- Prepares budgets and budget revisions if required and ensures that all transactions are properly reflected in appropriated budget lines;
- Conducts monitoring visits to sub-recipients to observe financial documentation management, identifies problems and assists in their solution;
- Enters financial data into Atlas System: creates requisitions, vouchers, vendors and Atlas reports, if needed;
- Maintains contacts with UNDP Programme Associates to request funds transfer, verify financial reports, budget revisions, receipt of contributions, etc., with UNDP CO Finance unit to follow-up on payments processing;
- Performs other duties as required by the Finance Manager.
Impact of results
- The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness of the project, both in the management of financial resources and in the success of the project's implementation.
- Good data entry, analysis and presentation of financial information contribute to the creation of a good financial management system for the project.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
Accounting Capacity (General)Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations and policies and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to create a process to achieve financial goals.
Financial reports and analysis
- The ability to evaluate financial data, draw relevant conclusions and present them in a meaningful way.
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks and organize actions to mitigate them.
Global Responsibility and Team Work:
- Serves and contributes to UNDP's vision, mission, values and strategic objectives;
- Plans, sets priorities and completes tasks on time;
- Effectively participates in an environment based on teamwork, information sharing, collaboration and cooperation with others;
- Reacts flexibly and positively to change through active participation;
- Respects established rules and standards of professional conduct in all circumstances.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others by showing a high sensitivity to difference;
- Establishes performance standards and objectives, and assumes the responsibilities associated with them.
Partnership and Networking:
- Research and application of knowledge, information and best practices from inside and outside UNDP.
Focus on Results:
- Plans and produces quality results to achieve the goals.
Innovation and Discernment:
- Contributes with innovative and practical ideas and approaches to dealing with difficult situations;
- Strives to provide quality, customer-centered services (both internally and externally).
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or economics.
- Trainings in accounting/finance confirmed by certificates.
- CAP, ACCA certificates are considered as an asset;
- 4 years of relevant work experience in accounting, finances and/or audit;
- Knowledge of finance legislation of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Experience of conducting audit will be an asset;
- Expert knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and database package;
- Knowledge of UNDP/UN procedures would be an asset
- Experience working with, or Global Fund's financial policies and procedures is an asset;
- Knowledge of 1C program is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Fluency in English and Russian;
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.cW8t3UZ-nAHY1