Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The position holder is responsible for supporting the Finance and Operations Officer in implementing the overall accounting and financial control, administrative and procurement systems for the smooth and effective functioning of Uganda Country Office. The incumbent will also be responsible for the reception services desk; coordination of all travel and logistics; office event and meeting management as in compliance with CBM rules and procedures.
· Financial management support to programmes;
· Set-up and maintain strong control processes to ensure that financial resources are used by partners in compliance with CBM financial policies, standards and procedures, and with specific donor requirements and contracts and provide training/coaching as needed;
· Work in direct liaison with the programme team and provide ad hoc reports as may be required;
· Perform periodic audits or spot-checks of partner financial management and control systems;
· Enforce partner delivery of timely, complete and quality finance reports in line with CBM’s requirements, including annual financial statements; verify quality and provide feedback to partners;
· Maintain database of partner reporting records;
· Give immediate notification of (critical) finance issues, and engage actively in the resolution of these issues;
· Monitors cash balances with partners.
Budgeting and planning
· Coordinate all aspects of the annual and multi-year budget process with partners, in line with CBM’s budget guidelines;
· Conduct the financial and legal compliance part of partner assessments;
· Oversee the development of the budget component of all proposals, ensuring all costs are accounted for and maximum costs are recovered; hold authority to sign off on the financial component of proposals;
· Include finance capacity development measures into partner project proposals, conduct training of Partner organisations in financial management of grants;
· Prepare and manage all aspects of the annual Country Office budget.
Country Office finance management and controls
· Manage the finances of the Country Office in line with CBM standards, local regulations, and applicable donor regulations;
· Manage the financial risk register of the Country Office;
· Validate the Country Office payroll, and ensure tax calculations, social security and other statutory contribution are made in line with relevant CBM internal and national regulations;
· Maintain internal accounting system and records, and ensure reliability and integrity of financial management information systems, documentation and reports;
· Ensure that internal control procedures and donor regulations are adhered to for all cash and bank disbursements, receipts, transfers and include appropriate backup of supporting documentation;
· Monitor costs versus budget, bank balances, cash balances and asset purchases;
· Ensure that any purchase, lease or sale of assets is done in accordance with procurement guidelines and receives the required approvals;
· Control and maintain a CBM country asset register and inventory, in line with CBM or donor requirements, as applicable;
· Organize and manage the annual audit of Country Office accounts and prepare, manage and implement follow-up plans based on given recommendations;
· Manage the preparation, circulation, filing and archiving of all accounting, financial and contractual documents in conformity with CBM procedures.
· Submit timely and complete reports to the Country Director, Regional Hub Office and International Office as per agreed timetable and in line with established reporting requirements;
· Provide regular budget monitoring reports (budget vs. actual expenditures) and other financial reports to budget holders/stakeholders as required for periodical analysis and provide recommendations for budget realignments as required;
· Regularly and pro-actively inform/update the Country Director on arising financial issues with a potential impact on Country Office management;
· Ensure compliance with in-country statutory accounting and reporting requirements.
Education, Knowledge & Professional Experience:
· Degree in Finance, Accounting, Internal Audit; professional qualification in accounting an advantage (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CIA);
· A minimum of 3-years of experience in a senior position ensuring effective financial management, systems and controls, including institutional grant management, particularly with an international development organization;
· An effective team player who is able to work diplomatically and with sensitivity with individuals from a variety of cultures, professions and personal backgrounds;
· Advantage of lived experience with disability;
· Ability to develop finance management capacity in others, and promote the importance of solid financial controls internally and to partners;
· Solid understanding of project cycle management;
· Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines;
· Thoroughness and business acumen;
· Attention to effective written and verbal communication;
· Ability to perform all tasks in a confidential manner;
· Willingness to commit and adhere to CBM’s values and Child Safeguarding Policy.