Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The Finance Director will be based in Northeast Nigeria. S/he will provide overall financial management and oversight for the anticipated USAID funded project in Northeast Nigeria and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP). This position will also be a liaison with headquarters to ensure full compliance with regulations and policies related to implementation of effective internal controls.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Finance Director will report to the COP and supervise finance team members.
- Establish and maintain financial management and accounting control systems for program expenditures;
- Ensure that the project meets all donor contractual requirements and complies with donor policies and regulations;
- Ensure accurate and timely information is provided, to assist in the day to day management of the project and to drive management, strategic and budgetary decisions;
- Ensure project liquidity and establish appropriate checks and balances to mitigate financial risks and conflicts of interest;
- Track the transfer of funds between headquarters and the field office and manage accounting and finance records of in-country expenses, including developing tracking and monitoring all financial project activities, and maintaining current project expense data;
- Ensure all financial records are audit ready, establish cost and fiscal controls and enforce stringent international financial & auditing standards that ensure efficiency, accountability and compliance;
- Lead the development of the annual budget, forecasts, pipeline analysis, budget realignment, fund obligation requests and support the development of the annual workplan;
- Direct the formation and implementation of financial, compliance policies and procedures, guiding policy decisions and providing technical expertise;
- Provide guidance to support teams on compliance requirements of client, and local tax;
- Work closely with field-based subcontractors to ensure budgets, projections, and invoices are completed according to Creative/USAID policies and procedures;
- Develop financial procedures manual;
- Provide financial management and systems training for project staff;
- Lead on all financial close-out of project activities and ensure complete documentation is secured; and
Other related duties as assigned.
Master's Degree in accounting, business, financial management or related field with at least 7 years of work experience is required;
Previous financial management of a donor-funded project in Sub-Saharan Africa;
Public or private sector management, financial analysis, cost accounting and relevant experience preferably in developing countries;
Demonstrated capacity to supervise a complex financial management or general ledger system;
Competent in using computers and financial software;
Experience managing teams;
Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills;
Excellent written and spoken English essential;
Ability to work under pressure and efficiently handle multiple tasks; and
Ability to work under own initiative or as a part of a team.