Renewable Energy for Rural Livelihood (RERL) is a joint project of the Government of Nepal/Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (GoN/AEPC) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). In continuation of UNDP’s support to the energy sector and UN’s commitment towards ensuring universal access to modern energy services, UNDP Nepal and GoN/AEPC has agreed to extend the partnership in this sector to scale up decentralized energy systems particularly mini hydro, large solar PV, productive end-uses and renewable energy financing for better linkages with enterprise development and livelihood enhancement. RERL provides technical assistance for the implementation of mini hydro and solar mini grid subprojects under the Asian Development Bank/South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (ADB/SASEC) Power Expansion Project, off-grid component being implemented by AEPC in rural areas of Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Field Facilitator (FF) will be based at the subproject with travel to other adjoining subproject areas when necessary. S/he will report to and work under the overall guidance of the National Project Manager (NPM) and relevant experts. The primary objective of the FF is to assist AEPC and UNDP in conducting activities pertaining to social mobilization, institutional development and management, and productive energy uses. The duties and responsibilities of the FF include, but not limited to, the following:
Relating to Social Mobilization
- Carry out baseline study/households survey and collect information as per AEPC format;
- Meet beneficiaries individually and in groups to inform them about the project, roles and responsibilities of different stakeholders, ownership, governance and management and financial closure of the project, including land acquisition and up-front equity collection from each households, community and other stakeholders;
- Support to establish grievance handling mechanism to address disputes/conflicts related to the project;
- Support cooperative/company to ensure maximum participation and maintain accountability and transparency;
- Closely coordinate with local government, community organizations/beneficiaries, cooperative, company and others development organizations for smooth and successful project implementation;
- Orient local government, communities, cooperatives/company on Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) and ensure meaningful participation of poor, women, Dalit and other marginalized groups in all program activities;
- Support to form groups and help build up capacities to engage at least one woman from each beneficiary households in micro finance activities;
- Support to carry out business opportunity assessment, business plan preparation, identification of potential entrepreneurs and enterprises, etc. for promotion of productive energy uses;
- Keep close working relation with officials of rural municipalities and other development organizations/partners, private sector;
- Ensure Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) issues are addressed during formation and operation of Co-operatives;
- Facilitate beneficiary women to engage in micro-finance activities.
Relating to Institutional Development
- Build strong partnership with respective municipalities and other stakeholders for smooth implementation of programme activities;
- Facilitate to form various sub-committee e.g. Local Economic Development Committee (LEDC), Community Renewable Energy Provider Sub-Committee, Saving and Credit Management Sub-Committee and Social Grievances Redressing Sub-Committee;
- Facilitate to register the users' group as a cooperative or company for institutionalization of the subproject;
- Facilitate to provide technical and managerial support services for Annual General Meeting, establishment and operation of computerized financial management system (billing, account keeping etc.), formal and public audits for efficiency, accountability and transparency;
- Facilitate to conduct various capacity building activities to management committee and sub-committees to enhance the capacity of the members;
- Facilitate to develop rules, regulation guidelines and manuals for sustainable operation of the system and orient and support to implement the operational and management guidelines of subprojects;
- Facilitate to conduct workshop, training, reviews, and study visits in other program areas as per the requirement;
- Provide backstopping to executive committee/board of cooperative or company for day to day activities and provide feedback/suggestion for smooth operation of the system.
Relating to Productive Energy Uses
- Conduct Business Opportunity Assessment (BoA) in the catchment areas of the project;
- Facilitate to conduct entrepreneurship and business management training to the potential entrepreneurs;
- Facilitate to prepare business plan/ proposal and orientation to the entrepreneurs and process for subsidy as per AEPC guidelines and procedures;
- Facilitate linkages with service providers for skill development;
- Facilitate to introduce innovative technologies in project area and support existing MSMEs to switch to electricity;
- Facilitate for quality products and linkages with micro finance for credit facility;
- Work with various value chain actors e.g. input suppliers, collector, processor, traders and end users;
- Facilitate to promote or develop existing and new MSMEs in the catchment to increase income and employment opportunities in different stages of value chain node;
- Ensure gender sensitization at every stage of business promotion process, from awareness creation to capacity building, business creation and commercial operation;
- Prepare and submit monthly plan and progress report including case studies, success stories, lessons learned to the Site Coordinator and UNDP/RERL;
- Ensure women and marginalized maximize benefits from access to electricity by establishing productive energy uses;
- Ensure access to finance for women and marginalized community for establishing enterprises.
Impact of Results
The work will have impact in ensuring proper community preparedness for construction and operation of mini hydro and solar mini grid subprojects especially promotion of productive energy use of electricity and institutional development of subprojects.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focuses on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and anticipate bottlenecks, as well as seek guidance;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial and employee files;
- Ability to organize and complete assignments within deadlines;
- Integrity and impartiality, ability to work with external partners e.g. supplier, vendors, service providers;
- Ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials proactively seek guidance and make clear recommendations to line managers;
- Dynamic and results-oriented;
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to draft short memos and conduct presentations;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; can multi task;
- Willing to work long hours;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Social Sciences, or any development related field
- 5 years of experience in social mobilization, conflict resolution, local governance, enterprise development, etc. in rural communities of Nepal;
- Good understanding of development issues and challenges especially in institutional development of local institutions and enterprise development for livelihood enhancement;
- Preference will be given to candidates with working experience in engaging with community on social issues related to RE systems.
- Proven ability in Nepali
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Ability to reside in mini hydro and solar mini grid sites in remote areas of the country.