UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women China provides technical and financial assistance to innovative programmes and strategies for gender equality and women's empowerment. We work in partnership with governments, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), UN agencies, donors, communities and networks to advance gender equality. Placing the advancement of women's human rights at the centre of our work, UN Women China focuses on violence against women, leadership and political participation, economic empowerment and national planning and budgeting.
Reporting to Head of the office, the Executive and Human Resources Associate is responsible for providing a variety of executive administrative support to the UN Women Country Representative maintaining full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment and, in close coordination with the Country Office management and staff, for managing the efficient flow of information and communications to ensure expeditious dissemination of information, timely action and compliance with established deadlines.
1. Provide executive support to the UN Women Head of the Office
- Manage the UN Women Head of the Office’s calendar, and schedule of appointments and meetings.
- Arrange travel and hotel accommodations and other logistics for the UN Women Head of the office
- Maintain roster of Country Office (CO) contacts; update electronic mailing lists;
- Answer and screen calls for the Country Representative with tact and discretion;
- Manage administrative files on the Country Representative mission travel and mission reports;
- Research files, collect information and organize materials to meet the Country Representative
2. Provide administrative related support
- Undertake the logistical, administrative and financial arrangements, to organize meetings, events, and workshops for the head of the office;
- Prepare Travel and visa arrangement for the Country Representative and senior International staff members
- Organize and attend meetings and events, prepare minutes and summaries for the Head of the office;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and PowerPoint presentations for the Head of the office for meetings, missions and other key events;
- Organize and monitor the office filing system;
- Follow up with the Country Representative on deadlines and commitments.
- Assist the Operations Manager in HR related issued as required
3. Provide Human Resources related support
- Provide administrative coordination in the extension of contracts, processing of national benefits and allowances, and entitlements, and renewal of UNLPs and visas;
- Input and track all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivities, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
- Prepare recruitment recommendations/supporting documentation for the Central Review Board (CRB);
- Prepare position establishment, liaise with regional office and assure that action is completed;
- Provide advice to local recruitment in programmes/projects when necessary
- Maintain and update internal database and files on administrative HR matters in a confidential and secure manner
- Provide support in preparing contracts for consultants
3. Provide effective communication and information management support to the CO
- Facilitate flow of information and communication between the UN Women Head of the Office and other units within or outside of UN Women;
- Review, prioritize and route correspondence to and from the UN Women head of the office; take proactive follow-up action and keep the Head of the Office informed;
- Respond to and/or direct inquiries to appropriate units for timely action/response;
- Prepare routine correspondence and interoffice circulars; review documents and reports to ensure spelling, punctuation and format are correct;
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval; ensure safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Assist in the preparation and finalization of informal translations; act as interpreter as required.
4. Provide administrative and coordination support to the Country Representative Office’s external relations activities
- Facilitate the Head of Office’s interaction with various external partners through written, verbal and electronic communication, and through collaborative and proactive relationships with counterparts and colleagues in partner offices;
- Receive and greet high ranking officials/visitors;
- Ensure protocol matters, receive high ranking visitors/officials, coordinate logistical arrangements related to visits.
5. Contribute to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the office and other offices/HQs;
- Build and share knowledge and experience related to administrative and operations support.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality support to the Country Representative
- Timely processing of HR related documents
- Quality presentation of information
- Quality and timely organization of events/ meetings
- Adherence to protocol
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to manage data/schedule, documents, correspondence, reports, and maintain protocol and information flow;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear format, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to administer administrative processes.
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or public administration is an asset
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative, secretarial, or programme experience.
- Experience in the use of computer applications and software packages such as Microsoft Office, and web-based management systems;
- Experience with the ERP system, particularly ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN system is an advantage;
- Experience in human resources is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Chinese is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Contract Duration: 1 Year