Renewable Energy for Rural Livelihood (RERL) is a joint project of the Government of Nepal/Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (GoN/AEPC) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). In continuation of UNDP’s support to the energy sector and UN’s commitment towards ensuring universal access to modern energy services, UNDP Nepal and GoN/AEPC has agreed to extend the partnership in this sector to scale up decentralized energy systems particularly mini hydro, large solar PV, productive end-uses and renewable energy financing for better linkages with enterprise development and livelihood enhancement. RERL provides technical assistance for the implementation of mini hydro and solar mini grid subprojects under the Asian Development Bank/South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (ADB/SASEC) Power Expansion Project, off-grid component being implemented by AEPC in rural areas of Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Electrical Engineer (EE) shall implement systems procedures, design standards of AEPC and contract documents for quality assurance and contract management for electrical components in mini hydro subprojects. The EE shall lend oversight to the project developer in implementing the electrical works in mini hydro subprojects. The duties and responsibilities of the EE include, but not limited to, the following:
- Plan and prepare monthly work plan for electrical related works in close consultation with AEPC, contractor and management committee and share with AEPC and the management committee;
- Execute electrical construction supervision work in an effective and efficient manner in compliance with the specified standard within the stipulated time;
- The EE shall advise the client in case of conflicts with the contractor;
- Monitor the electrical construction works ensuring that the quality of construction is as per the
- contract agreement;
- Ensure that the materials are as per the quantity and quality as agreed upon in the contract document;
- Ensure that the project is on schedule and look for options and corrective measures for completing the project on time;
- Undertake and/or verify the transmission and distribution line design and design of medium voltage substations;
- Carry out voltage drop analysis, line losses, fault analysis, etc.;
- Support to conduct testing and commissioning of mini hydro projects in AEPC approved format and ensure power quality and proper functionality of control and protection system;
- Conduct periodic capacity building activities of the stakeholders specifically the management committee and beneficiaries on technical and managerial aspects specifically safety and security requirements;
- Keep close working relationship with officials of AEPC, SASEC and UNDP and provide information (written and oral) when requested;
- Ensure Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) issues are considered in designing and implementation of the mini hydro projects.
Impact of Results
The work will have impact in ensuring proper oversight in electrical component during design and construction of mini hydro subprojects pertaining to conformity of quality standards of mini hydro construction.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focuses on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and anticipate bottlenecks, as well as seek guidance;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial and employee files;
- Ability to organize and complete assignments within deadlines;
- Integrity and impartiality, ability to work with external partners e.g. supplier, vendors, service providers;
- Ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials proactively seek guidance and make clear recommendations to line managers;
- Dynamic and results-oriented;
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to draft short memos and conduct presentations;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; can multi task;
- Willing to work long hours;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 3 years of experience in the field of Transmission and Distribution (T&D) line design and design of medium voltage substation;
- Good knowledge of electrical systems of mini hydropower, medium voltage substation, testing and commissioning of mini hydro projects, voltage drop analysis, line losses, designing of components of T&D line/substation, safety requirements etc.;
- Sound knowledge of 11kV and 33kV switchyard;
- Understanding of NEA distribution code and experience on grid interconnection of renewable energy projects complying to the grid code is highly desirable;
- Experience in mini/micro hydro and solar PV would be added advantage.
- Proven ability in English and Nepali
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Ability to reside in mini hydro sites in remote areas of the country on a regular basis.