The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve their lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
The Economics Team of the IDB Barbados Country Office (CBA) provides support to the Government of Barbados through technical assistance, economic analysis, and research products to inform policy dialogue.
About this position
The IDB Country Office (COF)/Office in Barbados is looking for an active Graduate Student to be hired as a 2023 intern under the Consultant modality. The Intern will provide support to the Country Office in Barbados in relevant areas of economic research on Barbados and the OECS region. The Intern will also participate in routine outputs and publications for the department, in regional studies and will provide support to the routine activities carried out by the Country Economist for Barbados.
The COF/Offices Internship Program is a paid Competitive opportunity for university students from member countries to learn about development work and corporate management of the Bank, and to acquire work experience at the professional level through on-the-job learning.
What you will do:Collect, process, and analyze macroeconomic, microeconomic and sector data and support the Country Economist in all analytical and programming work related to Barbados and the region. Contribute to the preparation and dissemination of the Economics’ team publications: the Economic Quarterly Bulletins, monographs, and working papers. Prepare or assist in the preparation of the Independent Assessments of Macroeconomic Conditions, briefings, talking points, PowerPoint presentations and other material for internal and external dissemination related to the CBA’s analytical and programming work. Assist the CBA in any other duties deemed necessary or that may arise in carrying out the assigned work program.
In carrying out the assignment, the Intern will work under the guidance of the Country Economist for Barbados in carrying out the above-mentioned tasks.
What you'll need
· Education: An active Graduate Student in Economics or Finance from an accredited University. The graduation date cannot be prior to the last day of the Internship.
· Languages: Be proficient in English and preferably with a working knowledge of one of the Bank’s additional official languages: Spanish.
· Soft Skills: Result-driven, collaborative, innovative, client-oriented, strong communicator, self-motivated, eager to learn, and excellent time management event.
· Technical skills: Excellent writing and oral skills, proficiency in standard computer software (including Excel, Word), working experience in statistical packages such as STATA or EViews and sound organizational skills are necessary for the role.
· Citizenship: You are either a citizen of Barbados or a citizen of one of our 48-member countries with residency or legal permit to work in Barbados.
· Age: Be 21 or up to 33 years old for graduates as of the starting date of the internship.
· Consanguinity: Not have family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB or IDB Invest.
· First job at the IDB Group: Be a first-time participant in an Internship Program held by the Bank or Inter-American Investment Corporation (“Corporation” also known as “IDB Invest”). In addition, you have not been a former staff member, Complementary Workforce (“CW”), contractor for the Bank or the Corporation, or have previously provided services to the Bank or the Corporation through a contractor or under any other contractual modality.
· COVID-19 considerations: the health and safety of our employees are our number one priority. As a condition of employment, the IDB Group requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
· Submit your resume, cover letter, academic transcripts (official or unofficial), and university letter proving your student status when applying.
o Academic transcripts and university letters should be issued within the last 3 months and must reflect: a minimum of 50% of coursework completed (graduate students)
· Applications without the requested documentation will be disqualified. Save each of
these files are in a pdf format with your name and subject.
· Please DO NOT send copies of your degree certificates or other courses.
· You must be able to work 40 hours weekly.
Type of contract and duration:Type of contract: CNS Consultant/ Intern Length of contract: 2 months
At the IDB Group, we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.