This position is located in the Transport Research and Policy Section, Transport Division. The incumbent reports directly to the Chief of Section.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Transport Research and Policy Section, and the general direction of the Director of Transport Division, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
Economic or sector analysis
• Monitors economic developments in transport and identifies emerging issues and trends related to sustainable transport in the ESCAP region.
• Designs and conducts research studies of selected issues in sustainable transport and implement research project on new and existing topics and themes and drafts resulting reports.
• Develops draft policy recommendations pertaining to area of sustainable.
• Formulates proposals for development strategies, policies and measures for presentation to intergovernmental bodies and others.
• Attends international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions.
• Organizes expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on sustainable transport issues.
• Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
• Provides substantive support on sustainable transport issues to intergovernmental bodies (such as Committee on Transport and Ministerial Conference on Transport).
• Represents organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings.
• Designs, implements, monitors and evaluate technical cooperation projects with particular focus on emerging issues in transport development.
• Undertakes missions to member states, either alone or as a participant in a diverse team, as part of the Organization’s technical cooperation activities.
• Prepares global, regional, national or sector analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on sustainable transport issues.
• Conducts training seminars and workshops for government officials and other stakeholders in member countries.
• Formulates technical modalities for the evaluation of individual technical cooperation projects related to sustainable transport, as required.
• Participates in intra- and inter-Departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the organizational unit.
• Performs other related duties as required, including to provide strategic advice and support on programme planning, monitoring and evaluation issues and liaison with relevant offices on programme management issues and matter related to partnership for the Division.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, law, engineering, public administration or related field. A relevant first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work Experience A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in transport policy and development, is required. Experience in implementing transport projects and programmes is required. Experience in research and analysis in the above fields is required. Experience working in the Asia-Pacific region is desirable.
Languages English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.