On 25 September 2019, the Government of Sudan and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) signed the Host Country Agreement paving the way for the establishment of a fully mandated OHCHR office in Sudan, with sub-offices in Darfur, Southern Kordofan, Blue Nile, and East Sudan. On 27 September 2019, the Human Rights Council adopted resolution 42/35, which welcomes the commitment of the Government to establish a fully mandated country office with field presences and requests the Secretary General to provide all the resources necessary to establish and operate such a country office.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Operations Analyst, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the OHCHR staff and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. He/she demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
Upon request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the OHCHR office, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
1. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of OHCHR staff, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
2. Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3. Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
5. Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the OHCHR office services.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain variety of computerized business machines and office equipment to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data, demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative.
- Transmits file data: creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and or /identifies patterns which support the work of others.
- Managing Documents, Correspondences and Reports
- Creates edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organizing and Multi-tasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic.
- OHCHR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- OHCHR does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension