The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world. The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change.
We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
As a strategic grantmaker, the ECF needs a system to manage its programmatic strategy which comprises:
- A method and process to elaborate strategy/tactics/grants identification that is based on context analysis and respond to clear objectives
- A process to monitor and review if it is on track towards its mission and objectives, and to learn and adapt strategy based on evidence. Monitoring and review shall be based both on quantitative (evidence to capture overarching trends and progress made) and qualitative (capacity to assess lessons learnt and adapt strategies) processes.
- Tools and capacity to perform and capture relevant analysis and information related to above 1/ and 2/ in order to ensure knowledge sharing and reporting.
The ECF has a robust programme strategy planning and monitoring system in place to plan its activities and monitor its impact. This system is based on linear logic models describing programmatic theories of change. However, this system needs to be adapted for various reasons:
- The context in which we operate is increasingly defined by rapidly developing crisis and
- interconnected problems, therefore the capacity of traditional linear ToC/logic model (objectives / obstacles / outcomes / activities) is limited and fails to capture the complexity of the issue addressed.
- The current system also fails to assess and integrate lessons learnt based on groundwork observation in a dynamic way, and fails to adjust to reality soon enough. Information captured in the system isn’t always useful for on-the-ground stakeholders to make the right decisions.
- In addition, multiple systems and approaches from ECF funders tend to overload ECF programmes and grantees with tasks aimed at satisfying reporting framework far from real questions/ situations that on the ground stakeholders are facing.
- As a learning and evidence-based organization which operates in such complex and rapidly changing environment, the ECF needs therefore to review its MEL system and processes, putting more emphasis on the strategic and learning dimension, while fostering agility and adaptability rather than heavy ex- ante modelling.
The MEL director is in charge of developing and implementing the new ECF MEL vision, principles, strategy, frameworks and structures, through a consultative process within the ECF and with the main ECF partners. The MEL director will work in close collaboration with a.o. the ECF Mgt team, the Programme teams, the Strategic Partnership team and the Grant Admin Hub team. The position reports to the COO. The MEL director will manage the MEL team composed by 4 individuals, and establish and manage partnerships and relationships with relevant external stakeholders in the MEL community and beyond.
- Coordinate, manage and develop the MEL team
- Develop and implement the new MEL vision, principles, strategy, frameworks and structures,
Experience and competencies
• Ten or more years of experience within high impact, data-driven social, business, academic, policy advocacy sector or philanthropic organizations; understands multiple approaches to
learning and evidence based frameworks.An organizational learning and effectiveness orientation, with a track record of developing and implementing processes that advance rigor and learning across an organization or team. Experience in managing and developing a team. Strong networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders. Demonstrated capacity of translating ideas into action. Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to distill and explain complex concepts. A personal style characterized by humility, self-awareness, accessibility, intellectual curiosity and a genuine team orientation. Bring MEL expertise and perspective in the ECF Strategic Management yearly process Ensure the MEL related quality check and validation of grant requests (grantee proposal, incl. U.S. law compliance) Design and implement MEL capacity development plans for ECF’s grantees Support evidence-based decision-making through analysis and visualisation of data. In relation with the Programme Directors and their teams: Support in defining the ToC/logic models, monitoring strategy implementation, learning and reporting Identify needs and opportunities to increase each programme team capacity for strategic learning and evidence-based decision-making Support programme teams in monitoring, assessing, and capturing the progress of grantees towards objectives As needed, support programme Directors and their teams in funders’ reporting and external evaluation processes.
📚 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗰𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗚𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝗝𝗼𝗯 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝗶𝗻 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯! 🌍🤝 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗚𝘂𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗡 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗲𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗨𝗡𝗛𝗖𝗥, 𝗪𝗙𝗣, 𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗖𝗘𝗙, 𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗦𝗦, 𝗨𝗡𝗙𝗣𝗔, 𝗜𝗢𝗠 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝘀! 🌐
⚠️ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐰: 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐍𝐎𝐖!
What we offer
• The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international team who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work.
• A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself.
• Introduction to ECF's vast global network of stakeholders in the climate and energy field.
• A permanent contract
Location: Any location where ECF has an office. (Brussels, Paris, London, The Hague, Madrid, Berlin)
Start Date: As soon as possible.
How to apply? Please upload your CV and a short cover letter (both in English) explaining your motivation.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.