The Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief and Development (ACBAR) was created in August 1988 to provide a coordinated approach to humanitarian assistance in Afghanistan and for Afghan refugees in Pakistan. Currently based in Kabul with five provincial offices, ACBAR provides a platform for its member NGOs, the Afghan Government, the UN, donors and civil society, to exchange information and share expertise. ACBAR also advocates on behalf of its members for a more coordinated, efficient and effective use of resources. ACBAR currently has more than 150 NGO members, national and international, working in humanitarian, development and peace-building sectors. ACBAR is governed by a General Assembly and an annually elected Steering Committee. For further information on the structure and activities of ACBAR, please see our website: http://www.acbar.org
ACBAR is looking for a committed Director with solid NGO experience and excellent management and diplomatic skills to manage this key NGO platform in Afghanistan and to lead the secretariat staff of 40+ national and international staff. The successful applicant will be required to start by end of June 2020.
Key functions include:
Overall Management of ACBAR:
Manage expatriate and national staff (40 persons) and develop the capacity of all staff together with the senior management team,
Supervise financial budgets and expenditure of ACBAR ‘s membership funds and program grants,
Ensure donor liaison and resource mobilization,
Undertake implementation of ACBAR's strategic plan and annual activity plans,
Consult and report regularly to the Steering Committee and wider NGO membership.
Leadership and Representation: Develop positions on key issues affecting NGOs in Afghanistan through continuous dialogue with members and key stakeholders,
Maintain constructive relations with the Government, UN, Donors, media and civil society to create an enabling environment for NGO members.
Networking & Coordination:
Plan schedule of regular and relevant meetings in all ACBAR offices and related follow-up actions
Ensure that all constituencies of ACBAR membership are represented equitably.
Advocacy: Provide leadership within ACBAR's Advocacy Group and ACBAR advocacy activities,
Take the lead in negotiations with key stakeholders,
Regularly update members on issues of key relevance,
Keep strong cooperation with external stakeholders and regional/international NGO platforms.
Facilitate information sharing between members and external stakeholders,
Ensure that relevant information is accessible to the membership.
* The position is based in Kabul with travel within Afghanistan. The selected candidate must adhere to all security requirements as laid out by ACBAR,
* The postholder must be able to work independently and have a strong work ethic and be responsible for his/her own actions and those of ACBAR staff
* The postholder must at all times work towards fulfilling ACBAR's mandate and demonstrate a high degree of diplomacy and personal integrity,
* The post holder will have an Afghan contract, with a gross salary ranging from 6,500 to 8,500 USD per month based on experience and including all benefits. Accommodation is provided by ACBAR. The post holder is entitled to 22 days of paid leave and 3 R&R periods per year,
* The contract is proposed for a minimum period of two years.
Qualifications and experience required:
* Master's Degree in international relations, political science, development studies, social sciences or related fields.
* At least 10 years of practical work experience at a managerial level within NGOs or UN in developing countries,
* Experience of coordination in the humanitarian sector and/or NGO partnerships and consortia in the development sector,
* Knowledge of conflict environments such as Afghanistan an advantage.
Skills and competences:
* Demonstrated leadership capacity and experience at a management level,
* Proven understanding and experience of advocacy in a complex humanitarian context,
* Strong willingness to work in compliance with basic humanitarian principles,
* Demonstrated ability to make clear and articulate presentations of complex information. Strong analytical, communication, coordination and facilitation skills.
* Demonstrated understanding of humanitarian and development issues,
* Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team and to coordinate with diverse stakeholders.Languages:
* Fluent English with excellent writing capacities. Knowledge of Dari / Pashto an advantage,
* Computer skills - excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.