DRS is looking, on behalf of our client, an international NGO, for a skilled Deputy Regional Director - West Africa in Dakar, Senegal. With regular visits to the missions, support the Regional Director on the strategic programming, management and implementation of activities and achievement of objectives related to the geographic area of competence. The Deputy Regional Director is functionally supervising the Grants Regional Officer, the Programmes Coordinators and/or equivalent in the geographic area of competence.
Job Title: Deputy Regional Director - West Africa
Duty station: Dakar, Senegal. Frequent field missions (Nigeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Cameroon and Chad)
Starting date: 01/03/2022
Contract duration: 12 months of which 4 months of initial probation contract
Reporting to: Regional Director West Africa
Supervision of: functional supervision of Programmes Coordinators and/or equivalent in the geographic area of competence
Direct supervision of Grant and Reporting officer West Africa
Dependents: Family duty station
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Contribute, with Regional Director to the design of the strategies and the identification of the geographical areas and sectors of intervention to be privileged
- Support Heads of Mission and key staffs in defining, programming and planning activities and organizational aspects in line with the identified strategy
- Support Heads of Mission and Programmes Coordinator or equivalent in the management of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries
- Is responsible to guarantee, in coordination with the Head of Mission, the Grants Regional Officer and the Programmes Coordinators, the supervision, analysis and evaluation of the key variables of the design of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency). In case of need and under supervision of Regional Director produce requested programmatic documentation (e.g.: proposal, annexes)
- Supervise and assess, in coordination with the Grants Regional Officer and through the review of PAT and/or other tools, the level of progress achieved by each project. Advise missions in project implementation and monitor the status of the program regularly reporting to Regional Director
- Collaborate with Heads of Mission and Programmes Coordinator or equivalent for ensuring systematic updating of needs analyses and critical context factors
- Guarantee, in collaboration with Head of Missions, Regional Finance Coordinator and Grants Regional Officer and under the supervision of Regional Director, the respect of our client Organization Management and Control Model and the application of the NGO and donors administrative procedures, rules and policies for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of its competence
- Responsible to follow up with the Head of Mission, the Grants Regional Officer, and the Programmes Coordinators or equivalent to guarantee the timely submission of mission documentation and reports to donors and HQ. Control the content of narrative reports, in collaboration with the Grants Regional Officer and Technical Units.
- Collaborate with Human Resources department for the management of Human Resources and to create a pleasant atmosphere in the missions:
- Collaborate to the analysis of HR needs
- if needed, and under the supervision of Regional Director, participate to the recruitment process of key staffs
- Motivate and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation
- Promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region in coordination with the HoM.
- Engage in direct capacity building when/as needed
- Support the HoM and the Programme Co in promoting growth, development and empowerment of National Staffs.
- In coordination with Head of Missions, follow up staff requests preparation and submission, to recruit new staffs in the geographic area of competence in line with budget availability
- Regularly check the NGO database (IMP) content for the sections of HQ competence on the basis of the information provided by Heads of Mission and Project Managers and, in coordination with the Grants Regional Officer, verify accuracy of data
- Collaborate with Communication and Fundraising department to promote contents, visibility and awareness of the Organization's work, goals, and financial needs as referred by the HoM.
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, NGO management, or equivalent work experience;
- At least 5 years of field working experience in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities;
- Budget management skills;
- Strong and proven project design skills;
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting;
- Robust technical competences in protection and education in emergency;
- Strong representation and negotiation skills;
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Previous experience in people management;
- ICT literacy compulsory;
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and system.
- Proficiency in English and French is required;
- Italian is a plus.
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity;
- Strategic thinking;
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized);
- Ability to plan and output oriented (pro-active);
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient);
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management;
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills;
- Practical and problem-solver;
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure;
- Experience in the region will be considered a plus.