The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality transactional services in the sourcing, identification and recruitment of UN Volunteers, as well as for the implementation of the Conditions of Service, payroll and service desk services for volunteers and UN Entities globally. VSC works in close collaboration with the UN System Affairs and New York Office, External Relations and Communications, and Volunteer Solutions Sections at Headquarters, as well as with other teams within Management Services, Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, policies and risks and internal control frameworks and procedures.
Reporting to the Chief, Volunteer Services Centre, the Deputy Chief is responsible for the management and monitoring of effective and transparent delivery of Volunteer recruitment and management services in compliance with the UN Volunteers Conditions of Service and for providing specialized advice to UNV management. He/she assesses partner needs, interprets and applies relevant Conditions of Service and establishes internal procedures to provide solutions to a wide spectrum of complex Volunteer recruitment and contract management issues. The Deputy Chief promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
She/he guides and supervises Operations Associates, Volunteer Services and works in close collaboration with UNV´s organizational units at the HQ and field level to analyze strategic programmatic and operational business needs, lead Volunteer sourcing, recruitment and management fast delivery of quality services as per corporate standards and targets, optimize volunteer recruitment and contract management and minimize risks to the organization.
Volunteer sourcing, recruitment and management
- Lead the delivery of relevant, accurate and consistent recruitment and contract management services in line with UNV’s offer, Conditions of Service and policies;
- Ensure transparent and competitive sourcing, identification and recruitment services, in line with UN Volunteer Conditions of Service, corporate guidelines and policies, leading to timely identification and recruitment of required volunteer talents;
- Oversee all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
- Advise UNV partners, organizational units and UNV managers on Volunteer sourcing, recruitment and contract management and provide timely response to specific service desk queries to optimize overall recruitment and management performance;
- Recommend solutions to highly complex and exceptional cases;
- Review and provide advice on administration of benefits and entitlements of UN Volunteers as well as on requests for exceptions to UN Volunteer Conditions of Services and interpretation of regulatory framework taking into account business needs and corporate goals;
- Supervise a specific assigned portfolio for the recruitment and management of UN Volunteers;
- Coordinate with Regional Offices and Field Units on quality assurance and provision of reliable services, and monitor timeliness and accuracy of recruitment and contract management;
- Develop and adjust workflows and practices that contribute to improved client services, enhanced productivity, and risks controls for Volunteer recruitment, contract management services, and the global service desk;
- Synthetize reports, lessons learned and best practices in Volunteer recruitment and contract management;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Implementation of UN Volunteer Conditions of Service
- Ensure full compliance with UN Volunteer Conditions of Service as well as UNDP and UNV policies and procedures throughout the implementation of relevant Volunteer recruitment and contract management services;
- Ensure effective implementation of UNV internal control framework through UNV management system;
- Monitor and report on Volunteer recruitment and management services delivery, assess potential areas of risk to ensure senior management’s awareness and consideration and advise on matters related to service performance;
- Monitor adherence to recruitment and management regulatory framework, review transactions against compliance plan, ensure early detection of errors and deviations and control of risks;
- Strengthen VSC controls and assist supervisor in internal control review;
- Undertake continuous analysis of corporate strategy as well as new and evolving policies, assessing the impact of changes on Volunteer recruitment and management and making recommendations for their smooth implementation;
- Identify gaps in policies and procedures, provide advice on various Volunteer modalities and work with subject matters experts to develop appropriate measures to satisfy partners’ needs;
- Design and manage corporate service level agreements and Memorandum of Understandings for provision of outsourced recruitment and contract management services;
- Establish monitoring and feedback mechanisms to measure efficiency and strengthening client satisfaction including through regular client surveys and reports.
- Manage staff including supervision, performance assessment and capacity development;
- Create a motivating, supportive, collaborative, positive work environment with efficient knowledge management and internal communication;
- Monitor activities of the regional portfolios and arrange for re-distribution of portfolios when required, to ensure equal work distribution as well as timeliness and quality of services at all times;
- Demonstrate leadership in embracing and implementing Digital Transformation;
- Produce inputs to corporate reporting, management reports and audit requirements;
- Provide support to the Chief, Volunteer Services Centre in the development and implementation of the VSC workplans, including annual work-plans of regional portfolios, and VSC budget management especially in the decision-making process in case a change of course if required to assure efficiency of VSC work.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies
- Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Master’s degree in Human resources, business or public administration, or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience in human resources or volunteer management;
- Knowledge of the conditions of service of the UN Common System or of international organizations is an asset;
- Experience with UN Agencies service centres is an asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in Spanish or French is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in handling web-based management systems;
- Solid knowledge of customer service is an asset;
- Knowledge of Atlas is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP/UNV is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP/UNV does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility for extension