Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 1 Feb 2021
Position Title : Data Analyst
Duty Station : Panama City, Panama
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 1 February 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates: Internal candidates
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include: All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
In response to the massive outflow of the large-scale population movements registered in Latin America and the Caribbean as a result of the political, socio-economic and human rights situation in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, and in line with its mandate, the IOM is implementing the Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan in 17 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) regions. As of November 2020, more than 5.4 million refugees and migrants from Venezuela are outside their country of origin, with 4.6 million in the region alone. Moreover, as mandated by the UN Secretary-General, IOM and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) are co-leading this regional response and have established a Regional Inter-agency Coordination Platform based in Panama. The Regional Platform aims at addressing the protection, assistance, and integration needs of both refugees and migrants from Venezuela in affected Latin American and Caribbean states.
In this context, the International Organization for Migration recognizes the importance of accurate and timely information to advise an adequate humanitarian response in a local and regional level, as well to provide stakeholders with accurate, timely, and comprehensive data on multi-sector IOM initiatives contributing to the improvement of living conditions of vulnerable migrants and refugees across the region.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations, the direct supervision of the Head of Migration, Data, and Research Unit (MDRU), and in coordination with the Information and Communications Technology Division (ICT), the successful candidate will be responsible for managing and overseeing all information management aspects and functions of displacement tracking data analysis, as well as other activities or projects which may develop within the MDRU contributing to the Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan (RMRP) in South America, North America and the Caribbean.
The successful candidate will be responsible for liaison, guidance to and coordination with other relevant focal points for data and information management, monitoring and evaluation, across the OSE (Office of the DG's Special Envoy for the Regional Response to the Venezuelan Situation) to ensure the quality, accuracy and integrity of all data collected for operational and reporting purposes to improve IOM programming in the region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Advise on and guide the identification of research questions and problem-solving, using data analysis in collaboration with data owners and managers. This includes the development of data models and protocols for mining production databases, assist in the development and implementation of data management policies and procedures, devise/develop and deploy required data queries in response to operational needs.
Advise on and coordinate the development and enhancement of the integrated methodology for data collection and qualitative and quantitative tools for Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) as well as IOM's projects/programs related to the Venezuela Response in the region.
Lead the design of information/reporting packaging and the selection of indicators to monitor the evolution and characteristics of the Venezuela Situation, including the design methodology and data collection tools for thematic surveys and assessments.
Lead data collection and analysis tasks for RMRP thematic studies in partnership with key internal and external stakeholders, including short to long term analytical research using data collected, through DTM and Venezuela Response Project Indicators.
Coordinate with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEAL) Officer in the design of databases/information management systems to effectively collect, clean, analyze and report on program-related data for OSE-managed regional projects and programs. Substantively support data analysis for contractually-required project/program evaluation actions.
Coordinate with Inter-Agency Regional Coordination Platform (R4V) colleagues working with technical information management/database functions to ensure IOM data is accurate and reported to R4V in timely manner.
In collaboration with relevant IOM Missions in the field, undertake the analysis of and advise on the profile of beneficiaries for the IOM programs related to the Venezuela response and ensure the regular update of the aggregated number of beneficiaries by country of implementation.
To improve OSE DTM programming and align regionally funded DTM programs with IOM global DTM policy/procedures, coordinate with DTM specialist colleagues in Headquarters, regional offices, and country offices, particularly those with database/information management and analysis functions.
Train and support staff through regular advice and guidance in OSE and the region in tasks related to data collection, surveys, and assessments (both DTM and programme-related data).
Analyse and prepare reports on data collected through surveys and assessments under the RMRP.
Represent IOM in UN and other stakeholders technical working groups related to information and data management and/or statistics for data collection and representation, as well as liaison with academic institutions, think tanks, and collaborating partners on strategic input and the implementation of studies and other surveys.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional Certifications in project management methodologies (PRINCE2, PMI or Agile Certified practitioner), Cloud Computing or Data Science (in AWS or Azure) would be an advantage.
- Experience in data analysis with large and/or complex datasets and information systems;
- Experience in the development and implementation of information management systems and databases, data modelling and reporting packages;
- Proven experience in survey and questionnaire design and/or household survey data;
- Research experience in the field of population studies, and refugees/IDPs developing countries, including field experience in survey coordination and implementation;
- Practical field experience in domains related to relief interventions and humanitarian action(including support to displaced populations and implementation of emergency and early recovery activities), UN, and the cluster system, including CCCM;
- Experience in the Latin America & Caribbean region would be an advantage.
▪ Ability to influence, lead and communicate at all levels and across multiple lines of business with high motivation, enthusiasm, and dedication to deliver results within strict timeframes;
▪ Ability to work in a fast-paced multi-regional environment including managing across multiple teams, functions and organizations often outside 'standard' working hours, leveraging on-premise and cloud computing solutions and systems;
▪ Analytical and problem-solving orientation with proven ability to analyze and translate statistical information into data-driven and/or actionable insights; demonstrated communication and presentation skills (written & verbal) across multiple organizational levels and audiences;
▪ Strong proficiency with end-user-level Microsoft Office and collaboration tools (in particular: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Visio, Teams, SharePoint);
▪ Coding knowledge and experience in R, Python/Jupyter, SAS, Java and/or popular database programming languages (including SQL, PL/SQL) for relational databases and nonrelational databases (such as MongoDB, Cassandra and others);
▪ Proficiency with distributed data/computing tools (such as MapReduce, Hadoop, Power BI,Tableau, Hive, Kafka and/or MySQL), across multiple deployment environments (cloud, hybrid, on-premises), multiple operating systems and/or through containerization techniques (such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS Elastic Container Service);
▪ Demonstrated ability to build staff capacities at an operational level in humanitarian emergencies and/or major data collection operations.
IOM's official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database ( https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization's priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization's vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization's goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM's competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station's country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 01 February 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 08.01.2021 to 01.02.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 04 Data Analyst (P3) Panama City, Panama (56797685) Released
Posting: Posting NC56797688 (56797688) ReleasedcWv5TIF-nAHY1