Supervisor: Deputy Resident Representative
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative and day-to-day management of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), the CPR Programme Analyst is responsible for management of the Crisis Prevention and Recovery Portfolio at UNDP Lebanon. The CPR Programme Analyst analyzes key trends and leads the formulation, management and evaluation of Programme activities within his/her portfolio.
Crisis Prevention and Recovery (CPR) is one of the focus areas for UNDP Lebanon, with a focus on strengthening peace building and civil peace, the Rule of Law, humanitarian mine action, disaster management and the Lebanese-Palestinian relations. The CPR Programme works closely with the Government of Lebanon, local communities, and civil society actors across the above thematic areas of intervention.
The CPR Programme Analyst leads Crisis Prevention and Recovery Programme, with a focus on the provision of advice to key national partners, partnership building with Government, civil society and UN agencies, and the development of new initiatives and programmatic engagement to respond to the evolving situation in Lebanon
Summary of Key Functions:
- Strategic direction of UNDP’s crisis prevention and recovery engagement
- Effective management of the CO Crisis Prevention and Recovery Programme and strategy
- Strengthening of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures the strategic direction of UNDP’s crisis prevention and recovery engagement focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides thorough analysis of the situation in the country and formulates policy guidance on possible entry points for strategic/programmatic engagement.
- Advises on issues that would benefit from high level advocacy efforts in the area of crisis prevention and recovery.
- Develops strategic and innovative Programme areas of cooperation, in line with country priority, and within the framework of the implementation of Agenda 2030.
- Supports the preparation/revision and the quality implementation of the Common Country Assessment (CCA), the UN Strategic Framework (UNSF), Country Programme Document (CDP), as well as other relevant frameworks such as the Lebanon’s Crisis Response Plan (LCRP).
Ensures effective management of the CO Crisis Prevention and Recovery Programme and strategy focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country Programme achieving the following results:
- In close collaboration with the other Programme leads, designs and formulates the CO Programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into dedicated interventions in line with the UNDP CDP.
- Ensures the substantive coordination of Programme implementation with relevant partners.
- Supervises the CPR team.
- Provides strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the Programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. Programme Specialist can perform the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
- Leads on the effective application of Results-based Management in the design, implementation and monitoring of the results associated with the agreed Governance strategy and related programming.
- Follows on audit recommendations and ensures the timely and quality preparation of donor reports, using RBM approach and methodology.
Ensures strengthening of strategic partnerships and supports resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishes and maintains key partnerships with relevant UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, donors, private sector, civil society, and academia to further position UNDP’s CPR agenda.
- Leads the CPR Team’s effort in identifying opportunities for resource mobilization for UNDP’s governance strategy.
- Represents UNDP in key donor fora and other coordination meetings. Participates on behalf of UNDP in selected UN working groups within the framework of the UNSF.
- Proactively communicates on UNDP’s approach, strategy, and results, through media campaigns, public events and flagship publications.
Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to Programme country policy goals.
- Acts as a resource person in capacity building activities organized by UNDP Lebanon, as targeting internal and external audiences on issues related to CPR issues in Lebanon, within the framework of the implementation of Agenda 2030.
- Facilitates experts’ identification, referral and comparative experience from other Country Offices in the region.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the success of country Programme within specific areas of cooperation. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Master’s Degree (or equivalent years of experience) in Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Conflict studies, or related field.
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in a) the provision of analytical, advisory and technical assistance in complex development settings; (b) the design, monitoring and monitoring of development strategies/programmes and (c) the establishment of effective partnerships with a wide set of stakeholders including: national governments, civil society, academia, the UN and private sector.
- Proven experience in crisis prevention and recovery particularly in areas related to: peace building, conflict management, conflict sensitivity, and disaster preparedness/recovery.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative fashion, through multi-stakeholder processes.
Fluency in Arabic and English a must. Knowledge of French an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension