Self Help Africa is looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial professional with significant programme management and proven new business development experience. You will drive the Group’s mission and vision and deepen our impact, through delivery of high quality programmes and ensuring that the processes of planning, implementation as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning, are robust. The Country Director will be responsible for overseeing all areas of SHA’s operations in Ethiopia, providing leadership and strategy guidance to the SHA team, with two direct reports and a mandate to expand operations.
The key responsibility of this role is the development, delivery and recalibration of the Group’s Ethiopia country strategy to ensure it is fit for purpose, aligned to our global strategy and that we are achieving significant impact for communities
You will be responsible for growing SHA’s operations in Ethiopia*.* The Country Director will collaborate with international organisations, national government, national organisations and the private sector to design and secure finance for innovative programmes that strengthen agricultural value chains, support entrepreneurs and their businesses and drive rural economic development and reduce poverty.
New business development and stakeholder relationship management
· Build relationships in-country to identify new opportunities and win funding for new programmes
· Build partnerships to expand our footprint in Ethiopia
· Represent SHA and present at national, regional and international fora and build the profile.
Programme management & operations
· Develop, present and implement the strategic vision, overall goals and objectives for SHA
· Oversee the implementation of all programmes in Ethiopia, ensuring SHA meets all key targets
· Work with the Head of Programmes to ensure all programmes are effectively monitored and evaluated so we can demonstrate our success, impact and value for money
· Work with the Head of Programmes to vet and manage any implementation partners
· Ensure that SHA is recognised as a thought leader in agriculture and agribusiness in Ethiopia
· Work with the Humanitarian Director to ensure growth of SHA’s humanitarian portfolio.
· Manage a large and diverse team, providing direct line management to members of the Country Management Team
· Ensure efficiencies in the operation of a joint country team through the use of shared services
· Oversee talent acquisition, with a particular focus on championing local talent
· Recruit, retain and develop SHA’s team
· Demonstrate values led authentic leadership.
Finance, audit and risk
· Manage SHA’s Head of Finance and Administration
· Oversee financial management and ensure programmes are delivered in a cost-effective manner, ensuring a value for money approach and that major costs are successfully recovered from programme funding
· Ensure a culture of accountability, transparency and adherence to all group policies and to staff welfare and security
· Ensure compliance with all programme and donor requirements
Required skills and experience:
· Minimum of five years’ senior management experience
· Previous experience of running multi-sectoral teams to deliver complex programmes either in a development or private sector setting ideally in sub-Saharan Africa
· A proven ability to deliver new income opportunities through proactive and sustained business development activity
· A proven ability to develop, implement and adapt organisational and business strategy
· Excellent communication and presentation skills, both in formal and informal settings
· Strong financial analysis and management skills
· Fluency in English