REPORTS TO Asia Area Director
SUPERVISES Head of Operations, Head of Microcredit Program, Program Coordinator, Internal Auditor, Deputy Director, HR Coordinator
WORLD CONCERN VISION
A world transformed from poverty to the abundance of life.
WORLD CONCERN MISSION STATEMENT
World Concern partners to transform the lives of poor and marginalized people through disaster response and sustainable community development. The love of Christ compels us to pursue reconciliation and equip those we serve so that they may in turn share with others.
· Christ-Centered: Approaches work by faith and prayer. Engages in faith disciplines that reflect spiritual growth and commitment. Leadership demonstrates Fruits of the Spirit in decision making words and actions. Provides opportunity for employees to grow spiritually and integrate their faith at work. Leads with humility and grace.
· Servanthood: Serves our world by meeting needs practically and spiritually. Seeks employee input with problems that affect them and implements their suggestions whenever possible. Cares for employees.
· Uncompromising Integrity: Honest, transparent, and trustworthy. Creates environment of ethical behavior and transparency. Builds high level of trust with employees. Models humility, fairness and integrity.
· Holy Stewardship: Honors and maximizes the potential of the resources, assets, and people God has entrusted to us. Develops effective strategies to help employees accomplish goals and objectives. Ensures great stewardship in all areas of responsibility. Accomplishes annual goals and objectives.
· Excellence: We serve with excellence, knowing we represent God in our work, words, and actions.
· Unified Team: Models One CRISTA and united in the vision to transform lives with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Leads with organizational values. Creates high level of engagement by connecting employees to the mission and vision. Works together effectively as a team with other ministries and within CRISTA. Follows through on promises and commitments.
· Dignity: We seek to treat all people with equity and respect, celebrating and affirming their unique, God-given value as human beings.
· Excellence: We strive to excel in every aspect of our work and commit to continuously learning, innovating, and improving.
World Concern is a US-based Christian global disaster response and sustainable community development agency. The love of Jesus Christ compels us to join Him in spiritual reconciliation and physical transformation by expressing a culture that is boldly focused on Christ and extending opportunities to people facing the most profound human challenges of extreme poverty. We serve over 6 million people in 15 countries, focusing on clean water and health, child protection, disaster response, economic empowerment, and spiritual transformation.
The Country Director is accountable for providing Christ centered, service driven and highly professional strategic leadership and management to World Concern’s relief and holistic development work in Bangladesh. This includes advocating on behalf of the organization’s development goals, building and expanding institutional relationships and promoting cooperative program activities – especially leveraging the separately registered MFI for economic development programming growth. Lead the country team in formulating and executing a country strategy in line with World Concerns global strategy and transformational development ethos in the lives of staff, partners, and beneficiaries. Develop new funding streams to ensure growth and financial stability.
(General overview and may not include all details of responsibilities)
· Honor God through effective decision making that is informed by prayer and seeking wise counsel.
· Understand WC Global Strategic plan and develop Bangladesh strategic plan within Global parameters
· Provide strong and clear leadership in articulating and championing World Concern’s Transformational Development ethos in the lives of staff, partners, and beneficiaries.
· Lead the country team in a way that builds trust, transparency and integrity while developing a culture of prayer, learning and good stewardship.
· Develop and carry out the strategic plan for World Concern Bangladesh that aligns with WC global strategies, incorporates humanitarian best practices within resource levels and context.
· Serve as Head of Mission and legal representative for World Concern in Bangladesh.
· Serve as CEO of the World Concern Microcredit entity (nationally registered MFI)
· Lead the country team in developing new program and funding opportunities ensuring the financial health of the organization.
· Network with and maintain good working relationships with key UN agencies, government authorities, churches, NGO’s, public & private entities, Integral Alliance members and others in the country including USAID/OFDA, where present, to capitalize on funding opportunities and ensure collaboration, acceptance and awareness of WC programs.
· Represent WC in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events that contribute towards raising the profile of WC.
· Active member of the Asia Area leadership team through which his/her voice contributes to global strategy.**
· Provide strong operational management to all aspects of WC’s work in Bangladesh ensuring programs are carried out in manner that meets WC’s commitments to beneficiaries, donors and other stakeholders.
· Assess organization to ensure ‘right sizing’ based on salary: comp ratios with an aim to increase performance and compensation for higher performers and improve mid level performer and eliminate low level performers;
· Ensure sound financial management of programs and operations by hiring and developing key financial staff, monitoring and controlling program income and expenses in relation to program deliverables and ensuring appropriate financial systems and processes are in place and being followed.**
· Ensure WC Bangladesh recruits and retains appropriate qualified staff to carry out high impact programs while maintaining cost efficiency.
· Lead growth of profitability and capital fund; Is experienced in Board / Governance roles and responsibilities and ensuring Board continuity according to Constitution and By Laws.
· Monitor the political, socio-economic and security situations in the country/region and ensure country security plans are well written, revised periodically to reflect the context and that staff are trained on essential protocols.
· Provide direction to staff during periods of heightened security risk and implement security protocols to respond appropriately. Assemble and lead a crisis management team to respond to threats or incidents.**
· Oversee program design, proposal development, program delivery and reporting cycles to ensure high quality, accurate outputs are delivered to the relevant stakeholder(s) in a timely manner.
· Develop and monitor performance metrics to ensure accuracy, professionalism and timeliness of outputs.
· Provide capacity building opportunities for staff to improve skills related to deficiencies in delivering quality outputs.**
· Ensure WC compliance within the NGO Affairs Bureau and Microcredit Regulatory Agency, local and national laws and regulations related to country registration, employment, taxation, banking, etc. and that systems are in place to monitor and adapt to any compliance requirements.
· Ensure compliance with internal policies
· Build a culture of transparency by soliciting feedback from staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders and ensure that feedback mechanisms are available and functional.
· Exemplify World Concern’s Code of Ethics and Conduct in all personal and professional dealings.
· Identify emerging risks as well as mitigation strategies and inform supervisor as soon as possible.
· Maintain open lines of communication with staff and supervisor.**
· Assess staff capacity, identify those with management potential and actively work to develop their skills to create a strong management structure.
· Provide opportunities for staff to grow spiritually and professionally building on their God given strengths and talents.
· Promote an atmosphere of continuous shared reflection learning and application for continuous improvement and increased mission impact**
· Agreement and support of CRISTA’s Statement of Faith.
· Demonstrate a living and maturing Christ-centered lifestyle.
· Demonstrate a high degree of personal integrity- Trustworthy and conscientious. Can be relied on to act with consistency and honesty. Speaks the truth in love.
· Willing and able to resolve conflicts using biblical principles with the goal of restoring relationships.
· Accountability-welcomes objective evaluation of working relationships and performance of self and others.
· 5 years’ experience managing multi-sector international relief and development programs with 2 years in a senior leadership role.
· Demonstrated ability to scale country profile based on funding opportunities/realities.
· Organizational strategic planning experience.
· Demonstrated experience in managing a multi-cultural and multi-faith team to achieve success.
· Demonstrated ability developing positive, trusting intercultural relationships, promoting diversity and inclusion, especially in regard to gender.
· Experience networking and building alliances with UN agencies, USAID/OFDA, ECHO, DFID, SIDA, other institutional donors and private partnerships.
· Experience managing USG funded agreements or comparable bi and multilateral agreements.
· Has practical experience and understanding of Microfinance and Savings operational context and familiar with MFI governance structures and compliance to Microcredit Regulatory Agency
Master’s degree in a related field of leadership, management, or international development
SOFTWARE / EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite and virtual communication technology.**
· Fluent in English and Bangla (written and verbal).
· Strong public relations, donor engagement, diplomacy and negotiation skills.
· Demonstrated knowledge of humanitarian principles and best practices.
· Ability to guide program development with strategic plan and core sector principals.
· Ability to analyze budgets and financial reports for effective management decisions.
· Requires periodic travel to remote field locations where basic services may be limited.
· May involve traveling in boats, planes or driving on rough roads that are not maintained over long distances.
· May encounter armed military militia or fundamentalist or other groups opposed to our mission and identity
· Periodic interruptions of power or communications.
- May require working on weekends or holidays to meet critical deadlines.
- May require travel to the United States and other locations in the region.
Master’s Degree from an internationally recognized college or university in a related field of leadership, management, or international development
Experience in transformational approaches to humanitarian and community development programming
Personal Medical Coverage Retirement
Fully Covered Group Life Insurance
Fully Covered Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Fully Covered Long Term Disability
Employee Paid Time Off
Maternity/ Paternity Leave
Reimbursement of cost of travel expenses to Bangladesh such as flight costs and visa application