JAM’s OPEN CALL TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR COUNTRY DIRECTOR POSITION
About the job The Country Director plays a key role in JAM’s comprehensive and solutions-based approach to An Africa That Thrives, through a high level of strategic leadership, innovation and effective representation and influence. The Country Director is ultimately accountable in country for all aspects of JAM’s work, leading the consolidation and at the same time development of the programme, continuing the process of developing solid impact measurement mechanisms, strengthening accountability initiatives and ensuring that the financial management and organizational setup is adapted to the operational context. The Country Director sets direction, leads, maintains team morale, safety and welfare, while managing resources, delegating specific duties as necessary, and maintaining oversight and accountability. A country Director in JAM takes the lead for operational excellence, programming quality, strategic positioning, portfolio growth, integrity and communicating impact.
Duties and Responsibilities (varies depending on the specific country)
Strategic People Management
• As Country Director, you are responsible for setting the overall direction of the country operation as well as the day-to-day operational management.
That means that you will:
• Ensure that the Senior Management Team (including the Head of Programmes, Operations Manager, Finance Manager, HR Managers) have clear and realistic goals and objectives.
• Ensure an open and trust-based dialogue through regular coordination meetings to ensure alignment with the overall strategy.
• Ensure that the country senior management team is effective, mutually supporting and sufficiently involved in key decision-making processes.
• Be responsible for the overall management of the operation, including thorough staffing plans, recruitment and development of staff.
• Travel to field offices for direct operational support and representation.
Programme Development + Representation
• Lead the development and update of the programme strategy, within JAM’s overall regional and global strategic frameworks.
• Lead the development of the country programme within strategic objectives.
• Ensure that JAM maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, humanitarian actors (UN & other NGOs) and donors.
• Represent the country programme to authorities, donors, partners and other relevant forums.
• Strengthen JAM’s position nationally and regionally. Fundraising and Advocacy
Fundraising and Advocacy
• Lead the process of identifying and exploring potential options for funding.
• Together with the Head of Programme & Resource Acquisition Manager, support relevant staff in drafting concept papers, project proposals and budgets in line with the approved country strategy.
• Define, develop and take the lead of the country’s local advocacy strategy.
• Accountable for ensuring that JAM's programmes are delivered in a safe and secure manner.
• Have overall accountability for security, including development of and ensuring adherence to security procedures, monitoring of the safety situation, analyzing and provision of recommendations.
Support Services (HR, Finance & Supply Chain)
• Together with the Finance Manager, provide overall budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control including compliance with minimum JAM requirements.
• Ensure that allocated resources are managed effectively and transparently by respecting and meeting all legal requirements.
• Oversee finance and administrative services in the country.
• Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements.
• Ensure that required and efficient Supply Chain structures and processes are in place.
• Together with the HR Manager, analyze and develop strategic staffing plans and budgets to secure the right people with the right skills in the right place.
• Provide leadership support to staff and promote best practices in people management.
• Support and take the lead in initiatives related to performance management and staff development.
Accountability and Quality
• Ensure that JAM standard regulations and operational procedures (Code of Conduct, JAM Operational Handbook, Core Humanitarian Standards, etc.) are followed.
• Guided by the JAM Programme Framework, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities.
• Ensure understanding and alignment with JAM’s Theory of Change and Vision.
To be successful as Country Director you must have:
• Minimum ten years’ management experience in emergency/development contexts as country director/senior manager of a humanitarian or development organization or similar.
• Minimum eight years’ experience as a people manager.
• Experience representing a large and leading organization to donors, external partners and authorities.
• Experience of managing budgets and multiple donor contracts.
• Experience with networking, advocacy and coordination, including donor contact, fundraising and networking.
• Experience in managing and supporting staff in hardship locations.
• Experience with displacement issues.
• Proven commitment to accountability practices and knowledge of quality assurance systems.
• Experience with either Food Security & Livelihoods, Health & Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene.
As Country Director, you are expected to demonstrate JAM’s six core competencies:
1. Operational excellence:
You lead and inspire team towards excellent, systematic delivery using standard tools, systems and predictable procedures. You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
2. Programming quality:
You take the lead to assure the quality of programming though out the entire project cycle.
3. Strategic positioning:
You strategically position JAM with donors, partners, peers. You are influential and inspiring when engaging externally.
4. Portfolio growth:
You take the lead in innovation, setting and achieving targets for local fundraising, resource acquisition and portfolio growth.
5. Demonstrating integrity:
You will uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
6. Communicating Impact:
You will create time to document and effectively communicate JAM’s lessons, impact and success stories.