UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the head of Partnerships, Advocacy, Results and Communications (PARC) team, the Communications Specialist implements the corporate communications strategy, provides inputs to the update, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the humanitarian/recovery/development agendas, promotes public and media outreach and mobilizes political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Specialist supervises and leads the communications staff of the Country Office and maintains a regular working relationship with the Regional Communications Manager. The Communications Specialist works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
The Communications Specialist will update/develop the communications strategy. Due to its close links with program priorities, it will position the Country Office in key humanitarian/recovery/development work as a leader to boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities. The Communications Specialist will also build effective relationships with the media to promote and manage the coverage of the Country Office in key practice areas within UNDP, helping to drive resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives.
Ensures updating and developing the internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare and conduct communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc), and update the existing communications strategy and plans as needed;
- Develop and update the CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy and branding;
- Analyse requirements and synthesis of proposals to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme during programme formulations.
Ensures implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Implement the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy;
- Manage the development, design, production and dissemination of internal and external communication material;
- Identify storylines for publications and draft substantive articles contributing to debates on key humanitarian/recovery/development issues through social media platforms and other relevant communication tools;
- Maintain contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination;
- Supervise the maintenance of a roster of qualified translators, editors, designers and publication houses to ensure documents adhere to global guidelines.
Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system (IMRP), and social media platforms focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supervise the design and maintenance of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff;
- Prepare the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials;
- Design and implement a social media strategy to ensure and maintain UNDP presence on social media platforms in line with emerging practices and trends (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Medium…etc);
Supports UNDP business development and Knowledge Management focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and campaigns
- Promote and maintain public information campaigns on UNDP activities, UN Reform, and SDGs;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report;
- Identify opportunities for press engagement, including interviews with key personnel and launch/closing ceremonies of projects.
- Maintain increased coverage of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice areas through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and partners;
- Communicate with relevant stakeholders and partners regarding programme initiatives, results and successes, and lessons learnt;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, and etc;
- Represent UNDP in the UN Communications Group (UNCG);
- Forge an image of “one UN” by publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, and common services. Organize and implement joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.);
- Ensure access for journalists to subject matter experts;
- Prepare newsletters, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects;
- Propose innovative approaches to UNDP’s information dissemination strategy
- Effectively respond to enquiries for public information materials;
- Prepare projects factsheets for external stakeholders;
- Draft talking points for the CO’s senior management and the head of PARC;
- Form strategic partnerships with media counterparts at other UN agencies, UNTV and with external media networks, strengthening internal capacity for media outreach and technical expertise.
Management of communications staff and coordination with internal and external stakeholders, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide a vision and leadership to inspire communication staff to proactively engage and design innovative approaches to communication in line with CO strategy
- Manage UNDP communications staff to ensure communication vision is aligned and integrated
- Periodically Assess communications unit to ensure capacity and training needs are met and workload is appropriately distributed
- Establish and Maintain strong working relationships with field and programme staff to enhance results and communication goals
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure UNDP key communication messages are effectively communicated.
- Provide periodic training of UNDP staff to ensure UNDP communication key messages are understood and integrated in programme design;
- Facilitate learning amongst project components, partners and stakeholders through reviews of progress against benchmarks, collecting lessons learnt and best practices and facilitating dissemination of the information;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work;
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Brand & Quality Management: Ability to strengthen UNDP's identity and distinction through its brand and uphold it to a high level of quality;
- Influencing and Agenda setting: Ability to plan and deliver communication initiatives that make an impact, persuades intended audiences, shapes perceptions of the UNDP and creates positive demand for UNDP's value propositions;
- Inspiration: Ability to inspire all cross-cutting communication colleagues to be innovative, especially at challenging new tasks and giving colleagues the freedom to explore and do things differently;
- Media Relations: Ability to form and maintain meaningful working relationships with various members of the media;
- Social Media: Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities / networks and promote citizen engagement in UNDP's work;
- Management and Coordination: Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
- Master's degree in communication, media relations, journalism, publishing or related areas;
- First level university degree with 7 years of experience may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in communications or advocacy. Experience working in print, audio-visual and/or social media is a requirement.
- Fluency in English and Arabic. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is desirable. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension