This is an exciting full-time, paid, remote internship opportunity to join ILGA World, the global LGBTI membership-based organisation with more than 1,600 member organisation in over 150 countries. The intern will provide assistance to the organisation’s communications efforts and report to the Senior Communications Officer.
This is an excellent opportunity for somebody who has a demonstrated interest in using their communications skills to raise awareness of human rights issues, and wants to gain experience working for an international human rights organisation that represents LGBTI networks, communities and movements on a global stage.
The internship is for a period of six months, commencing on 18 May 2020 and ending on 13 November 2020.
The internship is virtual, and the intern can be based anywhere with good internet connection. The exact working hours and dates can be flexible, but a candidate should be available to work full-time (37.5 hours/week). The internship receives a financial compensation of CHF (Swiss Francs) 750 per month.
- Research and fact-check news for ILGA World newsletters and website entries
- Write, edit or proofread effective website articles (including the weekly LGBulleTIn), social media copy or other communication outputs
- Organise a daily press review to monitor ILGA World’s presence on mainstream media, as well as global LGBTI-related news
- Curate and produce content for the organisation’s social media editorial calendar
- Assist the Senior Communications Officer in the development of campaigns - including in the production of visual materials (infographics, videos and more)
- Support ILGA World programmes by promptly uploading documents, updating website pages, and editing videos when necessary
- Maintain contacts with volunteer translators
- Previous experience (including volunteer work) in a communications role - preferably in the non-profit sector - OR/AND undergraduate or graduate degree in communications, journalism or another related field
- A demonstrated interest in SOGIESC issues, and in keeping oneself updated on LGBTI news from all around the world
- Excellent level of written and spoken English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Fluency in using social media for advocacy or organising purposes. Interest in exploring emerging technologies
- At least a basic knowledge of HTML language
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a highly organised manner to produce strong, compelling written and visual content.
- Intermediate to advanced written and oral fluency in Spanish.
Other UN language skills (French, Arabic, Chinese and/or Russian) are also an asset
- Experience with content management systems and web content creation in Drupal 7
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, Illustrator or similar graphic/video design tools.
- The internships are virtual; no relocation to Geneva is expected or supported by ILGA World
- The intern will be expected to work from their current location
- The intern will receive a stipend of CHF (Swiss Francs) 750 per month for the duration of the internship
- The successful intern will have opportunities to work with representatives of LGBTI organisations from around the world and other NGOs virtually and/or in Geneva;
- Due recognition in publications and activities which the intern has contributed to will be given.