Working to support disadvantaged young people or hiking the Inca trail? Why not do both!?
Get the best of both worlds for a volunteering opportunity where you give your skills and experience, rather than your money.
Are you looking for a break from the 9-5? Or with the end of your studies finally in sight you might be wondering what exactly it is that you are supposed to do now? Or are you looking to do a year abroad as part of your studies, or even before you start your studies, in an exciting and challenging environment? Instead of choosing between travelling and working - why not do both?
When volunteering with LAFF your skills will be put to good use and you will have the opportunity to work directly with beneficiaries, gain valuable field experience and increased awareness of International Development issues. Based in beautiful Peru, on the doorstep of Machu Picchu, this is also a great chance to practice and improve your Spanish language fluency. After being supported into your new role through our pre-departure and in-country induction, you will work in Cusco as a valued member of our small team of enthusiastic and skilled professionals from around the globe, under the guidance and supervision of our Programme Manager. What better way of gaining valuable work experience in the field than taking on this challenging and CV-boosting professional role!
The Latin American foundation for the Future (LAFF) is a UK-based charity supporting marginalised children and young people in Peru. We work through local partner organisations in Cusco and support activities and projects in the areas of formal education; vocational skills and personal development; sustainability, including income generation, cost reduction and capacity building. We strive to empower our beneficiaries enabling them to become independent and sustainable.
LAFF seeks a skilled individual for a full-time volunteering position.
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Cusco, Peru.
Employment Type: Unpaid volunteering position/full time
Leave: 2 days per month
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Duration: 3-6 months
The Communications Coordinator will be in charge of managing LAFF's communications strategy, which is guided by three main objectives: fundraising, recruitment, and raising awareness. This consists of producing and disseminating information through our website, blog, newsletters and social media accounts.
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the Communications Coordinator will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Manage all of LAFF's communications
- Produce and disseminate high quality electronic communications regarding LAFF's activities
- Provide semi-monthly reports on social media performance
- Collaborate with LAFF's Fundraising Coordinator to build relationships with donors, identify new funding opportunities and launch effective online campaigns
- Proofread and provide quality control for all print and electronic publications
- Maximise and update LAFF's communications strategy
- Maintain and strengthen LAFF's online presence
- Write and publish articles to raise awareness of thematic issues central to the aims of LAFF
- Support the marketing efforts of our partners' social enterprises
- Ensure that communication practices reflect LAFF's priorities, mission and vision
- Network and strengthen social media strategy to link LAFF with other stakeholders and organisations (including NGOs, donors, companies, universities and other supporters) to ensure continued support for existing and new initiatives.
- Undergraduate Degree in a related field (Communications, Languages,
- International Relations) or experience working in a communications role
- Volunteering and or/work experience in Communications, PR,
- Journalism, Education or International Development highly desirable
- Intermediate or Advanced Spanish language skills
- Experience with/good knowledge of social media usage
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Interest in acquiring communications and International Development
- Highly organised, flexible, independent, culturally sensitive and detail
- oriented with the ability to multitask
- Good knowledge of MS Office
We are looking for motivated self-starters who are able to work independently as well as being good team players. A non-judgemental approach and commitment to learning is essential, as well as a positive outlook and preparedness for the realities of volunteering in a Latin American country.