Position: Communications & Operations Manager**
Location: Santa Cruz La Laguna, Sololá, Guatemala**
Hours: 8:00 am a 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday.
Contract Period: Long-term, starting November 16, 2020, with a 3-month trial period.
Amigos de Santa Cruz has been working in the seven remote communities of Santa Cruz La Laguna, on and above the shores of Lake Atitlan in the Central Highlands of Guatemala since 1998. Our mission is to improve the lives of the indigenous people of Santa Cruz La Laguna and surrounding villages through support for education and sustainable economic empowerment. Amigos focuses on this one small corner of the world to help break the generational cycle of poverty.
We are a small organization that has a history of accomplishments, and an excellent relationship of respect and trust among the communities that we work with. Our four program areas include: Vocational Training, Youth Leadership and Sex Education, Women’s Empowerment, and Support for Formal Education (including scholarships, resource materials for public schools, and early education). We also manage two social businesses, Manos Cruceñas Artisan Store and graduate-run Café Sabor Cruceño. We serve a total indigenous population of approximately 9,000. Read more here: www.amigosdesantacruz.org
The Communications & Operations Manager will manage the strategic communication priorities of the organization, assist in fundraising efforts and the day-to-day functioning of the NGO. The position will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with local staff leadership.
We seek a candidate who is passionate for driving sustainable community development and ready to work with a team of inspiring and dynamic local organizational leadership. Deep cultural sensitivity is a must, with intercultural communication skills to successfully interact with staff, community members and foreign visitors alike. Strong problem-solving skills are also essential in this position, with the flexibility and sense of humor to take on a diverse array of tasks that may come their way.
- Manage and implement the organization’s communications strategy and supporter outreach to increase impact and broaden audience base.
- Maintain the organization’s social media including Facebook and Instagram as well as newsletters, electronic and paper, and the website.
- Develop engaging visual and written content to support organizational communication goals and to promote both the organization and the two social businesses.
- Maintenance of the organization’s photography and social media library.
- Assist in drafting fundraising proposals, grant reports, presentations, and other documents as needed.
- Organize outreach to and engagement of visitors to our center and two social businesses including maintenance of TripAdvisor and other online publicity, online store and wholesaler communications, tours and presentations to visiting groups, and assistance as needed to the Reservations Coordinator.
- Assist in organizing a various array of events such as staff retreats and fundraisers.
- Manage volunteers as needed.
- Assist in coordination of technology needs such as the participant database, cloud storage, google suite, and online payment platforms.
- Assist in purchasing and shipping coordination for the organization.
- Assist in building management oversight as needed.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- University degree in International Development, Communications or a relevant field.
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience working with non-profits and community-based programs, including international community development experience.
- Experience living and working in Guatemala a plus.
- High level of proficiency in both English and Spanish, both written and verbal.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in graphic design and efficiency with Adobe software including InDesign and Photoshop desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to create dynamic written and visual content for a variety of audiences; attention to detail to design and copy.
- Ability create engaging and dynamic photo and video content, experience in videography and photography desirable.
- Excellent writing skills; experience in writing reports, grants proposals, social media and creative marketing.
- Self-directed, takes initiative, and high attention to detail.
- Team player with intercultural experience and sensitivity, sense of humor, and flexibility to take on different tasks and projects as needed.
- Willingness to work in remote communities where travel can be difficult.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is based on Guatemalan professional standards, including paid vacation, holidays, and flextime. This position offers the opportunity for professional growth, travel, and great personal satisfaction. Contract is indefinite, minimum commitment of one year required. Trial period of three months.