UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In Afghanistan, UN Women works in four thematic areas i.e. Governance and Participation, Ending Violence Against Women, Women Economic Empowerment (WEE), and Women Peace and Security; and Gender and Humanitarian Action (as a cross cutting component); and is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women Afghanistan Country Office (ACO) are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners.
Under the supervision of the Communications Specialist, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies, with a focus on social media and editorial responsibilities to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Country Office (CO), HQ/Regional communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
Plan and design social media strategy and to the overall communications and advocacy strategies
- Prepare and conduct communication needs assessments for the Afghanistan Country Office related to social media including projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for communication strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Develop content for the Afghanistan Country Office’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Craft social media content for UN Women’s local, regional and global social media channels ( Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc)
- Integrate programme and project stories and priorities into communication, advocacy and outreach
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports;
- Coordinate in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events;
Manage and maintain the Afghanistan Country Office web/ online presence
- Develop content for Afghanistan Country Office websites and maintenance based on corporate requirements; lead content design and content curation
- Share latest trends around digital communications and advise team on how to repackage programmatic outputs for consumption of broader public, sharing of ideas, experiences and achievements in real-time;
- Manage e-newsletter and other programme updates to share ideas across countries, partners, donors and development institutions.
Support the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the country/region
- Support Communications Specialist to develop the branding of communication products and ensure consistency in the use of products
- Identify and propose information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Support the production of public information materials , printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Support the drafting and distribution of advocacy and briefing materials, press releases, articles, as requested;
- Write and edit communication content as needed
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
Produce communications collaterals for public information as well as forpartnerships and maintaining relations with international donors and international partners
- Create visual content including create and/or support production of visually compelling presentations and other advocacy/marketing collateral, including info graphics, charts, interactive reports, animations, videos, and photos.
- Provide inputs to packages for programme initiatives for donor review.
- Support Afghanistan Country Office staff resource mobilizations efforts including assisting in developing project proposals, suitable information materials for pitching proposal to potential partners, etc.
Facilitate monitoring, reporting and knowledge building and sharing
- Ensure monitoring of media, social media coverage
- Ensure reporting on key advocacy activations, campaigns, events, etc.
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality inputs and analysis into the communications strategy for the office
- Timely monitoring and reporting of media, social media activities undertaken, and current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Good communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
- Affinity with Un Women mandate
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Experience in websites, web content and the use of social media.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558. Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.