By advancing youth skills and building social investment through multifaceted programs, Shaqodoon organization has strong and complementary experiences working with the IDPs, Refugee Returnees, and Host Communities, underprivileged youth, and women in Somalia.
Shaqodoon Organization has been operational in Somalia/Somaliland since 2011, implementing programs in entrepreneurship development, SME development, business development services (BDS), mentoring, and creating sustainable livelihoods development initiatives. Over the last years, Shaqodoon Organization engaged in social mobilization and economic development for communities and taken approaches for state-buildings that leverages local mobilization processes to build social cohesion and trust between citizens and government authorities. To deliver on its mandate and achieve its mission goals, Shaqodoon Organization is taking new development strategies to create new partnerships, new approaches to serve its clients, and exploring various resource mobilization opportunities.
We invite experienced and talented individuals to fill the Communication Specialist position to be based in Hargeisa with substantive travel to project sites across Somaliland, Puntland, and South & Central Somalia. This assignment will be for twelve (12) months.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Communications Specialist will work closely with projects to assist, build, and support program communication needs. The incumbent will be responsible for enhancing Shaqodoon Organization's Somalia/Somaliland project's visibility with its donor, beneficiaries, partners, and the public by generating project success stories and other visibility documents. The successful candidate should demonstrate prior experience in multimedia, i.e., video filming and editing, graphic design, and photography.
- Work in collaboration with the Program Manager and Regional Coordinators to manage publicity and media activities, including handling event, enquires, and community and organizational requests for promotional involvement.
- Working in collaboration with relevant staff to create and implement promotional strategies to generate participation and engagement in promotional events.
- Contributes to the design and content of print publications, social media channels, original content, and other outlets that help Shaqodoon Organization engage with relevant communities and supporters.
- Collaborates with Shaqodoon Organization program team members to understand and support Shaqodoon Organization programs.
- Lead on the translation of material from English to Somali and vice versa
- Support in developing and maintaining media relations of the organization.
- Creates field communications and outreach plans in coordination with key field staff.
- Draft the production of high-quality communications products such as reports, photos, fact sheets, social media content, video and audio, and blogs for internal and external use.
- Develop and deliver a clear and effective system for internal communications.
- Leads in the drafting of case studies successes, stories, and lessons learned.
- Supports in creating and implement an integrated and innovative communications strategy that supports Shaqodoon Somalia/ Somaliland evolving goals.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required skills and qualifications.
- Degree in Journalism, communications, or related degree
- Prior experience working in communications on humanitarian or development issues, with experience in successfully supporting the development and implementation of communication and campaign strategies.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali.
- Experience with professional DSLR cameras, lenses, and lighting, including.
- Ability to use different video and photo editing software.
- Experience in collecting and producing communication products, such as case studies and photo stories.
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people.
- Excellent planning, management, and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Pay attention to detail.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide samples of previous work done.