UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
The overall objective of the Enhancing Adaptation Action in Turkey Project is to build societal resilience by strengthening climate change adaptation, particularly at sector and urban level.
The specific purpose of this Project is to establish an enabling environment for climate change adaption in Turkey by developing the policy, technical and operational baselines, including (i) better decision-making tools for national climate change adaptation policies, (ii) urban adaptation planning solutions (urban adaptation strategies and action plans), (iii) capacity building and networking activities for climate change adaptation with the EU and the international community, and (iv) a climate change adaptation grant programme to implement climate change adaptation action.
Result 1. Develop better decision-making tools for climate resilient sustainable development.
Result 2. Develop adaptation and resilience planning in urban areas
Result 3. Develop capacity for climate change adaptation action
Result 4. Improve operational capacity for climate change adaptation action through a climate change adaptation grant programme
The Communication Assistant will provide the Project Technical Assistance Team with communication activities support. In addition to their daily routine, the CA will work closely with the Communication Unit of UNDP Turkey, for a standardized and coherent communication and visibility approach during the implementation. S/he will report to the Project Manager.
Objectives of the Assignment
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Communication Assistant will be responsible for creating and crafting compelling digital content in a Project specific manner. S/he will ensure that the visibility rules and practices of EU and UNDP are followed in close contact with UNDP Communications Unit. S/he will also be responsible for the visibility of the Project outputs on a wide range of social media platforms.
Key Results Expected and Measurable Outputs
The SC is expected to assume the following tasks:
Key Results Expected/Major Functional Activities
% of time
1. Supporting Project Visibility, Managing Social Media & Digital outreach and Communications
- Create compelling social media content for digital platforms.
- Prepare necessary tender documents for visibility specific procurement in various aspects such as video production, design, editing, printing of documentation, etc. in close contact with CCE Portfolio Administrator/Projects Implementation Administrator.
- Prepare communication plan of the project.
- Coordinate the creation of engaging video content which performs well on various social media channels.
- Regularly come up with ideas for engaging social media content and campaigns, working with relevant colleagues to assess feasibility.
- Monitor and moderate social media channels, flagging risk and opportunities to deepen engagement.
- Identify new digital tools and best practices and how these can be most effectively applied to deepen engagement with supporters.
- Coordinate social media platforms and campaigns of the project as required, working closely with relevant communications colleagues.
- Produce visuals, infographics and apps for digital campaigns as necessary.
2. Ensuring compliance with EU and UNDP visibility rules and procedures
- Regularly contact and consult with necessary units in EC and UNDP for ensuring the compliance of visibility of the project with UNDP and EC visibility rules and regulations.
- Ensure the communication flow between TAT and Project Team with UNDP Turkey Communications Unit.
ATLAS profile: General User.
*Atlas is the finance, procurement, human resources, travel and reporting tool used by UNDP.
The Project Communication Assistant reports to the Project Manager.
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
- Visual support for project digital campaigns provided.
- Social Media Channels are utilized and managed for project specific visibility purposes.
- Visibility of the project is maintained in line with EC and UNDP visibility rules and regulations without any problems or inconsistencies.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
The incumbent should possess the following qualifications and experience.
- University degree in graphic design, communications, business administration/economics, engineering, political/social sciences, land use planning or design, climate change adaptation, administrative sciences or environmental sciences, disaster risk reduction or related fields.
- Full proficiency in English and Turkish.
- Excellent command of office software, such as word processors, spreadsheets, databases.
- Advanced knowledge of graphic design tools such as Adobe CC Suite.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in fully working for communication related activities in at least 1 project in collaboration with international institutions/organizations.
- At least 1 year of proven experience of EU communication and visibility rules in at least 1 project with the rules and contractual procedures of EU.
- Specific experience in design of communication and visibility materials in various forms.
- Experience working with UNDP;-Experience in print and digital design.
- Internships (paid/unpaid) are not considered professional experience.
- Obligatory military service is not considered professional experience.
- Professional experience gained in an international setting is considered international experience.
- Experience gained prior to completion of undergraduate studies is not considered professional experience.
The incumbent of the position should strictly avoid
- any kind of discriminatory and abusive behavior including gender-based discrimination
- any kind form of sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse
The incumbent of the position should ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced;
- zero tolerance principle to sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse is prioritized.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP prioritizes gender equality and women's empowerment approach in all its actions, workplace relations and implementations as well as gender parity in representation to create a workplace which is equally inclusive of women, men and persons with other gender identities. Temporary special measures will be instituted to ensure appointment of personnel of under-represented genders at grades and in roles where they are under-represented
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months, possibility of renewal based on the satisfactory performance and availability of funding.