Climate Change Intern
2023 Country Office/Offices Internship Program: Undergraduate Intern (Consultant)
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve their lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
The IDB Country Office (COF)/Office in Barbados is looking for an active Undergraduate Student to be hired as a 2023 intern under the Consultant modality.
The COF/Offices Internship Program is a paid Competitive opportunity for university students from member countries to learn about development work and corporate management of the Bank, and to acquire work experience at the professional level through on-the-job learning.
What you will do:
The intern will support the following tasks and deliver the below-mentioned deliverables:
· Support the development of a comprehensive narrative on the agenda of the IDB in Barbados as we support the Government, Academia, NGOs, and private sector in the country’s climate change and biodiversity agenda
o Support the team in developing a narrative, collecting information and figures on the IDB’s portfolio and its alignment to Barbados’ main strategies (PDP, NDC, NBSAP, IRRP, etc.)
o Review the texts, and seek pictures and videos to embed in a presentation that will showcase the main achievements and key figures
o Review the portfolio of the Government’s pipeline investments in alignment with the Roofs to Reefs Programme (R2RP) and the NDC, flagging the SDGs attained
o Support the communications specialist as we develop different materials to showcase the work done byt the IDB to support the cliamte chage and biodiversity agenda, including blogs, technical notes, publications, etc.
o Perform any additional activity requested by the supervisor
· Climate Finance Monitoring System
o Collect data and build a baseline on the indicators of the projects which include climate finance investments under a unique excel data set
· Youth and Climate Change in Barbados, with a focus on Eco-anxiety
o Review literature and produce reports as required.
o Provide research assistance to support the team working on Eco-Anxiety and Youth as part of a knowledge initiative for Latin American and Caribbean countries
What you'll need
· Education: An active Undergraduate Student in sustainable development, marine conservation, biology, and environmental studies from an accredited University. The graduation date cannot be before the last day of the Internship.
· Languages: Be proficient in English and preferably with a working knowledge of one of the Bank’s additional official languages: Spanish.
· Soft Skills: Result-driven, collaborative, innovative, client-oriented, strong communicator, self-motivated, eager to learn, and excellent time management event.
· Technical skills: Present findings in well-organized and clearly written reports, including PowerPoint presentations. Savvy in social networks to support the showcase of the IDB’s work under the Climate Change and Biodiversity agenda.
· Citizenship: You are a citizen of Barbados.
· Age: Be between 21 and 27 years of age for undergraduates as of the starting date of the internship.
· Consanguinity: Not have family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB or IDB Invest.
· First job at the IDB Group: Be a first-time participant in an Internship Program held by the Bank or Inter-American Investment Corporation (“Corporation” also known as “IDB Invest”). In addition, you have not been a former staff member, Complementary Workforce (“CW”), contractor for the Bank or the Corporation, or have previously provided services to the Bank or the Corporation through a contractor or under any other contractual modality.
· Submit your resume, cover letter, academic transcripts (official or unofficial), and university letter proving your student status when applying.
o Academic transcripts and university letters should be issued within the last 3 months and must reflect:
§ A third-year approved minimum (undergraduate students)
· Applications without the requested documentation will be disqualified. Save each of
these files in a pdf format with your name and subject.
· Please DO NOT send copies of your degree certificates or other courses.
· You must be able to work 40 hours weekly.
Type of contract and duration:
· Type of contract: CNS Consultant / Intern
· Length of contract: 2 months
At the IDB Group, we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com to request a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews every application carefully.