The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality transactional services in the sourcing, identification and recruitment of UN Volunteers, as well as for the implementation of the Conditions of Service, payroll and service desk services for volunteers and UN Entities globally. VSC works in close collaboration with the UN System Affairs and New York Office, External Relations and Communications, and Volunteer Solutions Sections at Headquarters, as well as with other teams within Management Services, Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, policies and risks and internal control frameworks and procedures.
Reporting to the Director of Management Services the Chief VSC is a member of the UNV Management Team and oversees the successful talent acquisition, sourcing, identification and recruitment of UN Volunteers and delivery of the full volunteer management cycle from onboarding to separation, ensuring consistency of transactions and contract management services, in line with the UNV Strategic Framework, corporate business plan and objectives.
Volunteer management services and talent acquisition leadership
- Assess organizational needs and develop with senior management and relevant line management targeted volunteer services strategies and interventions to achieve business objectives;
- Provide technical and strategic advice and guidance on the implementation of volunteer services and talent acquisition solutions;
- Recommend solutions to highly complex and exceptional cases;
- Assess the effectiveness of VSC operations against corporate performance indicators, plans and results; recommends corrective measures to ensure achievement of goals;
- Assess impact of volunteer services delivered and provide feedback to corporate unit partners and clients to support policy formulation and benchmarking.
Volunteer talent acquisition, sourcing, identification and recruitment
- Coordinate with Regional Offices and Field Units on the demand for UN Volunteers and adjust candidates sourcing and recruitment strategies accordingly;
- Design and oversee the implementation of strategic talent acquisition activities to build up and sustain a pool of candidates in the required specializations and ensure nationality and gender balance;
- Oversee an integrated volunteer database and volunteer identification and recruitment systems and advise on improvements including for processes re-engineering initiatives to improve client services, enhance productivity and efficiency for recruitment services and reporting;
- Define guidelines and procedures in line with talent acquisition and recruitment best practices, including management of targeted rosters, and review them regularly to ensure efficiency of services provided;
- Lead the organization of targeted recruitment drives with external partners and ensure systematic monitoring and evaluation of such activities;
- Oversee the implementation of the candidate profile management and recruitment components of the UNV volunteer management systems;
- Oversee the identification and recruitment of, and specific coordination of transactions related to fully-funded UN Volunteers, special initiatives, e.g. Persons with Disabilities, including final quality assurance of relevant processes.
- Manage centralized transaction services for the administration of the UNV Conditions of Service;
- Oversee and lead the delivery of services related to volunteer recruitment and contract management;
- Take action related to security and medical evacuations;
- Oversee the provision of payroll services for UN Volunteers consistent with UNV Conditions of Service;
- Provide advice to Regional Offices and Field Units on conditions of service for all volunteer modalities, including relevant rules, regulations, policies and administrative practices in line with corporate risk management and internal control frameworks;
- Ensure streamlining of business processes and workflows related to volunteer management in appropriate UNV systems and platforms;
- Review and propose corporate service level agreements and Memorandum of Understandings for provision of outsourced recruitment and contract management services.
Business processes management
- Drive and coordinate the development, implementation and continuous improvement of systems, processes and tools with emphasis on digitalization, automation and innovative practices and simplification including re-engineering initiatives to improve productivity and efficiency of transactional services;
- Define monitoring and reporting systems within VSC, including via digital solutions; ensure sound and regular reporting to management and clients;
- Define and implement feedback mechanisms to measure efficiency and strengthening client satisfaction;
- Coordinate with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure quality assurance and provision of reliable services, integrating their work with the headquarters team and monitoring timeliness and accuracy of services;
- Advice on applicable regulations, rules and policies to ensure full compliance with accountability framework during the entire cycle of transactional services. Identify deficiencies and possible risks and take appropriate remedial actions.
- Provide strategic guidance and oversee the performance and compliance with rules of the VSC team and VSC work to ensure coordinated and effective service delivery;
- Provide intellectual leadership and technical guidance, and foster a supportive and collaborative work environment;
- Lead and manage the VSC team based across multiple locations at HQ and regional office levels, including supervision, performance assessment and capacity development;
- Establish and monitor implementation of the annual VSC work plan and set performance indicators, including for positions out-posted to field locations;
- Facilitate provision of data for audits, including related to VSC’s compliance with rules. Monitor follow up actions in response to audits, assess risks and mitigation/escalation plans using enterprise risk framework. Make recommendations for addressing deficiencies in close consultation with senior management;
- Develop and manage the VSC operating budget.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Foster knowledge creation, codification, transfer and management, including the development of capacities of VSC personnel and enhanced internal communication;
- Work with UNV’s units and other UN entities to identify and disseminate best practices in volunteer services, recruitment and management;
- Encourage capacity building by contributing to the shaping of enabling policies, tools and mechanisms to facilitate organizational knowledge sharing and advancement.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Ability to make decisions that align with strategy, vision, and mission
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Master’s degree in business administration, public administration, or human resources management.
- 10 years of relevant experience in personnel and business processes management, mainly at a managerial level, preferably within the UN system or in other international organizations;
- Knowledge of the conditions of service of the UN Common System or of international organizations is an asset;
- Experience with service centers within the UN Common System is an asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP/UNV is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP/UNV does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension