Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Business Development Manager will lead and/or support new business development efforts, from capture planning and bid tracking to proposal development, submission and follow up, particularly for large, priority opportunities. Responsibilities include full opportunity life cycle management, serving in the Capture Manager and Proposal Manager roles. The Business Development Manager will lead special initiatives aligned with the department’s annual strategy and priorities. The Business Development Manager will supervise 1-2 Business Development Associates and/or Business Development Assistants. She/he will work under the supervision and direction of a Business Development Deputy Director. The successful candidate will serve as an integral member of Social Impact’s Business Development Unit.
- Reading and interpreting solicitations to identify critical items required for compliant responses, as well as strategies for winning and risks.
- As proposal manager, oversee and manage all aspects of the proposal development processes, including:
- Manage capture work, including planning, research, partnering, and solution design;
- Lead kickoff meetings and preparation of accompanying documents (proposal calendar, outlines);
- Facilitate solution design and storyboarding sessions;
- Lead proposal review meetings;
- Maintain relationships with partners;
- Draft various sections of proposals;
- Compile inputs from proposal team members;
- Ensure responsiveness to and compliance with solicitation documents;
- Manage and oversee competitive range and BAFO responses; and
- Conduct after action reviews.
- As Proposal Coordinator, support the Proposal Manager in accordance with duties assigned;
- Coordinate with other service areas and support units involved in the proposal development;
- Other duties may include providing administrative and logistical support to proposal teams, drafting consulting agreements, managing invoicing and payment of consultants, arranging travel, hotels, visas, and insurances for capture/proposal team members.
- As Capture Manager, conduct research for capture, including analyzing competition and potential partners, background information on the client and current implementation efforts, country context, and relevant on-the-ground knowledge;
- Writing and contributing to capture plans;
- Organize and participate in capture trips;
- Outreach to new partners, especially small businesses and local partners.
- Play a key role in Business Development team management by overseeing an assigned set of approximately 1-2 Business Development staff, including Associates and/or Assistants;
- Provide advice, training, and support on general capture and proposal management; relationship management; recruitment; and pricing;
- Provide oversight to assigned staff’s capture and proposal management responsibilities;
- Conduct goal setting, coaching and performance reviews and appraisals for assigned staff;
- Attend and coordinate Business Development opportunities such as domestic partnering meetings, think tank meetings, conferences, university events, career fairs, seminars, and other activities.
Special Initiatives and Other Duties:
- Lead and/or support special initiatives, such as developing market entry strategies for new clients, developing/refining knowledge management tools for the department, and promoting learning and application of best practices;
- Participate and contribute to departmental and companywide strategy development;
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-10 years of work experience related to international development, including a minimum 3 years in proposal development for US Government agencies or other international donor organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, including international relations, political science, public affairs, and communications;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong oral & written communications skills;
- Strong technical writing skills;
- Foreign language skills desirable;
- Master’s degree a plus;
- Work or study abroad preferred; and
- USAID experience a plus.