This is a mid-level management position that performs increasingly complex business development work on capture and proposal teams. Responsibilities include the development of capture planning and proposal development strategies for USAID and other clients; leading cross-functional proposal teams; and delivering competitive, high-quality proposal documents for submission. This includes guiding the development of a bid strategy; conducting competitive analysis; guiding the development and implementation of capture plans, teaming and staffing strategies; and facilitating the development of responsive technical solutions. The incumbent manages the development and delivery of competitive technical and cost proposals, develops partnerships and client relationships, tracks procurement opportunities, and provides guidance on or pre-bid intelligence gathering efforts. The incumbent also provides input into Creative's knowledge management and capture of best practices and lessons learned for future business development efforts, and further assures that all work under management is within the parameters of Creative's Business Development Policy and Procedures, including Creative's Style Manual, and all company proposal policies, procedures and timelines.
The Business Development Manager works under general supervision and reports to and is typically supervised by the Director of Regional Business Development, or designee.
- Successful leadership of assigned, capture, and proposal development projects, ensuring adherence to Creative's business development practices and standards;
- Coach and mentor junior staff in business development;
- Demonstrate deep knowledge, skills and abilities in capture, and proposal development and skill in applying lessons learned from prior capture, and proposal teams to subsequent assignments;
- Provide dynamic representation of business development across the company; develop desired synergies and alliances when working on assigned capture, and proposal opportunities for technical program divisions;
- Continue proactive involvement within the international development industry and business development profession to stay abreast latest developments, innovations, and best practices.
- Works with BDD Directors and program division BD staff to implement long-term positioning strategy plans
- Works with Capture Managers to design and develop robust technical, management, partnering, recruitment, and cost strategies in a timely manner prior to solicitation release;
- Facilitates and guides capture and proposal teams in the development of responsive, competitive technical solutions;
- Formalizes agreements with partner and resource organizations; serves as the point of contact for subcontractors and partner organizations;
- Participates in bid staffing interviews, as appropriate;
- Works with Technical Leads to form proposal development team(s); develops technical volume outlines, compliance matrices, and layout and style protocol;.
- Leads the development of the proposal development packet for kick-off, including the proposal development calendar; organizes the kick-off meeting and all other preparatory meetings;
- Enforces adherence to proposal development and submission deadlines;
- Takes a lead role in managing proposal development team(s) from solicitation release through submission and after-action reviews, under the oversight of the Director;
- Reviews technical and cost volumes, including annexes; conducts re-writes and substantial technical editing, as required;
- Holds regular checkpoint meetings with proposal team to ensure adherence to schedule, checks quality and compliance of response, surfaces and seeks resolution to potential problems early;
- Manages all color reviews; assembles relevant documents for the reviews;
- Ensures overall proposal responsiveness to, and compliance with, the solicitation;
- Oversees review process and works closely with technical writers to ensure the proposal is responsive to the evaluation criteria of the solicitation;
- Oversees proposal preparation for production; assures timely proposal submissions to the client;
- Supervises business development specialists, business development coordinators, and/or interns;
- Tracks deadlines and timelines and informs the Director of any potential problems in meeting deadlines or submitting a compliant and high-quality proposal;
- Helps manage post proposal debriefing meetings to discuss the process and identify lessons learned.
Supports bid efforts in another role, as needed, e.g., proposal coordinator, proposal writer, or capture manager. Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in International Relations, International Development or a related field and at least 9 years of relevant experience OR a Master's degree in a related field and at least 7 years of relevant experience;
Demonstrated progressive experience leading capture and proposal development for USAID solicitations; experience with other U.S. Government (USG) agencies and/or non-USG donors is a plus;
Comprehensive knowledge of business development experience on proposals of at least $50+M in funding;
Excellent skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, and communications;
Excellent meeting facilitation skills and organizational skills;
Considerable knowledge of the competitive market within Creative's technical areas;
Commitment to international development and to values-driven work environment.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Considerable knowledge of and expertise in the international development industry;
- Proficiency in a second language, preferably Spanish, French, or Arabic
- Experience using SharePoint
- Experience using Dynamics365 (CRMS)