The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) is a Pan-African policy think tank committed to addressing the challenges affecting democratic governance, strengthening African institutions, and seeking new and progressive ways to transform economic development in Africa. MINDS contributes to shaping the nature of development policy and programmes across the continent for more sustainable development outcomes by providing a forum for dialogue, information dissemination and networking that is underpinned by rigorous research.
MINDS has a new organisational strategy that it is implementing during the period 2019 - 2024. Building the sustainability and resilience of the organisation and its interventions during this period is central to the strategy. In this regard, MINDS is seeking Business Development Manager to diversify its funding streams, develop alternative and innovative models, and deepen its relationship with current and new donors.
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, the Business Development Manager will lead the development and implementation of a business development and sustainability strategy to support the growth of MINDS and the impact of its interventions. The postholder is expected to be a very experienced and results-driven person able to generate new business, partnerships and funding opportunities, as well as identify, build and sustain innovative as well as traditional resource streams.
Design and implement a results-oriented and coordinated strategy to mobilise significant additional resources from donors, foundations, philanthropists and corporates
Lead the business development cycles of the strategic objectives of MINDS in line with the organisation’s resource needs
Manage advanced intelligence gathering, including analysis of business development forecasts, track trends and conduct research and analysis of viable opportunities to inform MINDS’ quest to cultivate viable revenue streams
Coordinate the development of highly competitive resource mobilisation proposals and concept notes, and ensure achievement of positive results
Develop innovative revenue creation strategies, including non-traditional revenue streams to generate income
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes):
- Master’s degree in International Development, Communications, Marketing, Economics, Business Management or any other relevant discipline
- A minimum of 7 years proven experience in generating funds within the non-profit sector, grants management, monitoring, assessments, and reviews in a largely African context
- Demonstrated experience utilising diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position an organisation for new funding and productive institutional relationships
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and processes to produce complex technical and budget proposals under tight deadlines
- Strategic leadership, negotiation and decision-making skills with an entrepreneurial approach in developing funding streams, including social enterprise models
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of / fluency in French or Portuguese an added advantage
- Eligible to live and work in South Africa