DIVISION / DEPARTMENT: LEGAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORT PROGRAMME
Post holder reports to: Program Manager – DADAAB
Staff reporting to this post: APOs, Interns/Volunteers
RCK MISSION: To safeguard and protect the rights and dignity of forced migrants and host- communities through provision of legal aid, psychosocial support, advocacy, capacity building and promotion of inclusive governance.
JOB PURPOSE: To supervise and manage the Garissa field sub-office through providing management
and leadership in provision of legal aid and psychosocial support to forced migrants, refugees and the host community in both migration and GBV related cases.
• Manage and coordinate RCK’s Garissa sub-office. Ensure the office functions effectively and efficiently in carrying out RCKs mandate and objectives.
• Lead a team of professional staff in attending to refugee clients at the legal aid clinic and assess cases for intervention.
• Coordinate the responsibility of RCK in seeking access to clients in detention, ascertaining the conditions under which such clients are being detained, and provide them with appropriate legal and other assistance in accordance with RCK policy.
• Lead the Garissa legal team in preparation of legal briefs and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments.
• Ensure that the provision of legal representation to refugees especially unaccompanied and
separated minors, GBV survivors in court, in police stations and child protection cases are managed.
• Coordinate the preparation of responses to enquiries on legal issues on laws relating to refugees and other forced migrants from RCK staff, governments, inter-governmental organizations, institutions, and the public in Garissa sub-office.
• Coordinate the capacity building of RCK’s stakeholders in relation to domestic and international laws that relate to refugees and other forced migrants in Garissa sub-office.
• Develop and maintain a database of and relations with internal /external referral partners.
• Supervise and ensure updated client database is maintained.
• Coordinate the preparation and submission of monthly reports and donor related reports within schedule.
• Coordinate the development of proposals and budgets for fundraising for Garissa office and support the organization on the same.
• Support human resources officer in recruitment and placement of staff and consultants for Garissa office.
• Represent RCK with the regional/local governments, UN bodies and non-government organizations as well as stake holders’ forums in Garissa as required.
• Monitor project implementation and keep RCK head office appraised of the project progress
• Manage RCK assets in Garissa sub-office and update the Dadaab Program Manager
• Supervise RCK staff in Garissa operations and coordinate administrative tasks.
• Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required, commensurate with your grade.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
1) Bachelors degree in Law
2) Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate
3) At least two years’ experience in civil and criminal litigation.
4) Experience working with an NGO/Humanitarian field is an added advantage.
5) Knowledge of the Kenyan Legal system and of regional & international instruments on refugees and human rights.
6) Two years’ experience in a management position is an added advantage.