“Strengthening Institutional Capacity for SDGs Achievement in Bangladesh (SC4SDG)”, is a multi-year initiative to support the Government of Bangladesh. This initiative is the successor of “Support to Sustainable and Inclusive Planning (SSIP)” project and “Engaging with Institutions (EI)”, IP project and aims at providing technical assistance in the formulation of evidence-based policy formulation, implementation, localization, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and outreach of SDGs in Bangladesh. UNDP has been a long-standing partner of the GoB in achieving global goals since MDGs era. In previous interventions, UNDP worked largely with the public sector; but for SDGs, it cannot be achieved without support of the non-state stakeholders given its wideness and depth of the 2030 Global Development Agenda. This project aims to go beyond the conventional partnership with the government to private sector, NGOs, CSOs, think-tank, academia and media to ensure the ‘whole of the society’ approach to attained SDG goals and targets.
The project has four components:
1. Evidence-informed SDG policy and plans formulated;
2. Systems and capacities in place to localize the SDGs;
3. Financing for SDG Implementation secured and prioritized; and
4. 4. Partnerships and outreach for enhancing society wide participation in SDGs ensured.
Under the direct supervision of Finance and Procurement Expert and overall guidance by the Chief Technical Adviser, the Assistant shall carry out the duties given below to achieve the mission:
1. Provides effective support to the Finance and Procurement Expert and Chief Technical Adviser on day to day operational issues and administrative management of the project
- Draft official correspondence and notes
- Support the project team in planning and providing logistic support to learning events / workshops and taking minutes and report writing
- Maintain an appropriate filing system documenting the implementation of approved work-plan activities
Assist Finance and Procurement Expert in managing project assets and inventory.
2. Provide support in procurement related issue
- Prepare Supply Order (SO) and perform all activities regarding issuance of Purchase Order (PO)
- Prepare Micro-Purchase Canvas
- Update project management regularly on ATLAS
- Monitor project expenditure and track donor budgets
Provide support to the Finance and Procurement Expert on formulating and revising work plans
3. Performs monitoring and evaluation related tasks, ensuring timely and efficient delivery of the project
- Assist with quality control functions of project activities, including assessing impact and effectiveness, tracking outputs and results, and ensuring timely and efficient delivery of the project.
4. Supports all project-related external and internal communications
- Communicate with and support local and international missions/consultants to ensure all necessary logistic arrangements.
Support the Communications and Advocacy Officer in drafting, printing and disseminating publications.
5. Performs any other duties assigned by the Chief Technical Adviser and other project colleagues.
Impact of Results:
The project assistant will contribute to streamlined project operations and effective work plan formulation and monitoring, communicating these issues constantly among project staff and stakeholders.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards (human rights, peace, understanding between peoples and nations, tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation (UNDP core ethics) impartiality
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong customer-service skills with demonstrated ability to effectively interact with technical and non-technical end users in a pleasant, cooperative, and helpful manner.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and work independently.
Ability to read, analyze, interpret and apply general technical instructions and procedures
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UNDP
Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from a university in Bangladesh.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant working experience
- Demonstrable computer literacy including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Experience of working with the Government, especially within Planning Commission will be of added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in Bangla with a strong working knowledge of English.
- Conversant with MS word, excel and Power Point applications.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Initially one year with possibility of extension