UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Women and girls in Rakhine are among the poorest in the Myanmar. They hold subordinate position in households, communities, workplaces and society, which greatly undermines their capacities, potential and rights. Institutionalized discrimination continues to prevent women from equal participation and from assuming decision-making roles at all levels. These persistent gender inequalities and gender-based discrimination mean that women are disproportionately affected by the development challenges facing Rakhine State, including outward migration for work, high rates of unemployment and intercommunal tensions.
To address their specific needs and catalyze leadership of the women in Rakhine State, UN Women Myanmar Country Office is working to support strengthening women’s leadership, participation and self-reliance through improved livelihood security. The Rakhine programme promotes the empowerment of women to engage in, contribute to and benefit from community resilience and inclusive growth and development in Rakhine State through developing an enabling and supportive environment to increase women’s access to and control over financial resources and develop new sources of income for promoting their leadership and participation outside household duties.
Reporting to the Programme Associate, the Administrative Assistant works with and provides support to the members of the Programme team in the development and implementation of the Project for humanitarian and development assistance to help create conditions conductive to the return of displaced persons from and within Rakhine State and to promote resilience-based development in consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes programme, administrative, and logistical assistance to the team for the smooth programme implementation. The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the UN Women Myanmar.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide general administrative and logistical support to the Office in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and strategies
- Arrange travel and hotel reservations, prepare travel authorizations, process requests for visas, as required
- Organize and coordinate filing of documents; maintain mailing lists, Photocopying and duplicating services, Distributing the UN Women publications
- Provide administrative support to office and assets management
- Monitor and maintain office stationery and office supplies including maintenance of stock list, distribution of stationery/supplies and keeping a log of distribution, as required
- Maintain records on assets management and prepare required reports
- Maintain files and records relevant to office premises and related maintenance
- Moving/rearranging office furniture and equipment as and when required
- Provide administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, trainings, workshops, events, and missions
- Document events performed by the organisation including taking photos for communication purposes as required
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions in ATLAS and claims
- Draft minutes in meetings, as delegated
- Collect quotations and Prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects; Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas.
- Completing required paperwork with accuracy and attention to detail within a timely manner
- Provide administrative support to resource mobilization
- Organize, compile, and process documentation and information from donors, and programme team as inputs to various databases and documents.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide administrative support to the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Good IT and web based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related fields is an asset.
- Secondary education with 4 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, procurement, or logistic support service. Or a Bachelor degree with at least 2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.