The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UNV volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive, and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity.
UNV managed 8,282 UN Volunteer assignments in 2019. With an average age of 38 years and the requisite professional skills and qualifications of some 5 to 10 years relevant experience, UN volunteers served in 154 countries in 2019 and came themselves from 162. The majority – 81 per cent – come from developing countries themselves. 48% of UN volunteers served in their own countries, with the others carrying out international assignments.
UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany and has approximately 150 staff positions – with positions on regional and field levels, with different UN Peace and Political Missions, and in other Headquarters locations (e.g. New York).
The Volunteer Solutions Section is a custodian of policies governing UN Volunteer assignments and related entitlements. The Procurement Unit manages and oversees all UNV `s procurement processes.
The consultant will work in close collaboration and will be supervised by Programme Specialist, On-site and online Volunteers Solutions, and Procurement Unit Team Leader. Progress will be reported on weekly basis, and acceptance of output will be certified by both.
Duties and Responsibilities
Since 2012, UNV has been in contract with Cigna International Health Services BVBA (formerly ‘VanBreda International NV’), currently valid until 31 December 2020. In line with UNDP procurement policies, a new procurement process is to be launched. As such, it is intended for UNV to conduct market analysis and formulate an RFP tender document for the purpose of establishing a new contract for the Medical, dental and hospital care, and life and disability insurance (including Malicious Act insurance).
Responsibilities of the consultant under this heading includes, but not necessarily limited to the following:
Deliverables and Timelines:
No. of days
Conduct market and competition analysis and develop procurement strategy for the provision of medical and life insurance services for International and National volunteers
Up to 7 working days
15 August 2020
Prepare necessary documents for Expression of Interest (EOI), assist, lead and guide the review and evaluation of offers received and finalize list of prequalified vendors.
Up to 5 working days
15 September 2020
Assess, formulate and prepare necessary documents for Request for Proposals (RFP)
Up to 5 working days
30 September 2020
Participation in the Pre-bid conference with proactive bidders, preparation of responses to technical questions and other technical input which may be required during the tender process.
Up to 5 working days
30 October 2020
Assist, Lead and guide the review and evaluation
process during the tender process including
devising appropriate clarification questions to
Proposers, as needed.
Up to 10working days
15 November 2020
Develop and Finalize Evaluation report based on
evaluation panel members’ analysis and scoring
Up to 5 working days
30 November 2020
Assist with the technical components of contract
negotiations, as necessary
Up to 3 working days
31 December 2020
Migration and implementation of new service provider (only if applicable – please quote separately)
Up to 10 working days
31 January 2021
Total number of working days
Up to 50 working days
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Highest standards of integrity and discretion
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Advanced Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Law or other related field.
- Minimum 12 years of progressive experience in Employee Insurance and Benefit Plans;
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Global insurance markets;
- Strong understanding of global insurance policies, especially in life, health and illness sector;
- Experience in the design and implementation of insurance plans.
- Knowledge of international procurement standards.
- Experience of reviewing and evaluating insurance proposals.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English
Criteria for Selection of the best Offer:
The selection of the best offer will be based on the combined scoring method, where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted 70 percent, and then combined with the price offer, which will be weighted 30 percent.
Key selection criteria are
- Number of years (more than 12) of progressively responsible experience in Global Insurance and Benefits Programs (30%)
- Understanding of global insurance policies in workplace health, injury and illness sector (15%)
- Familiarity with administrative and procurement skills including the preparing of service requirements and tender documents (15%)
Candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% (49 points) of the maximum obtainable points for the technical criteria (70 points) shall be considered for the financial evaluation.
Applicants have to provide a technical AND financial proposal.
The technical proposal shall consist of:
- Motivation Letter describing their interest in the assignment and why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Latest personal CV or P11, including past experience in similar projects and at least three references
- A technical proposal: shall describe the methodology and the approach on how to fulfil the required deliverables as well as outline the major components of its implementation;
The financial proposal shall consist of
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form https://popp.undp.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/UNDP_POPP_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY/Public/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx&action=default); The financial proposal shall consist of an all-inclusive lump sum for the whole duration of the contract period (please quote separately deliverable 8), which shall include the consultancy fee, costs of living, costs for insurance. The financial proposal shall also contain a breakdown of these costs. The lump sum/contract price is fixed regardless of subsequent changes in the cost components.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION.
Qualified women and members of social minorities are encouraged to apply. Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are only able to inform the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Merge your Cover Letter, CV, Technical Proposal and Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability (including the financial proposal) into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
Queries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org - to Julie Spiller clearly marking: 0094750 - Medical and life Insurance expert
Applications sent by email will not be considered.