The Pacific Labour Scheme and the Seasonal Worker Programme are two employment programs sponsored by the Australian government, which allow citizens of Pacific Countries to take up low and semi-skilled work opportunities with Australian employers in certain locations and industries.
The Pacific Labour Facility (PLF) facilitates the connection of Australian employers with Pacific workers for both these programs. The facility also provides continuous support to Pacific workers who are taking part in the programs. The PLF will act as trusted intermediary in connecting Australian employers with Pacific workers and in its partnerships with Pacific countries, the private sector and other stakeholders. The PLF is managed by Palladium on behalf of the Department of Foreign Affairs &Trade (DFAT).
The Workplace Relations Compliance Officer will support the Pacific Labour Facility Demand Team, as well as employers and Pacific workers approved to participate in the Pacific Labour Scheme, with expert advice on employment and industrial relations law, workplace regulations and policies (various industries), employee engagement matters, HR and payroll, as part of Recruitment Plan submission and worker engagement. The Officer will provide advice that is timely, accurate and industry relevant.
Under the guidance and direction of the Employment and Workplace Relations Manager, the Workplace Relations Compliance Officer will:
* Promote compliance with Australian workplace laws by employers under the Scheme, including anti-discrimination, WHS and workforce planning and development.
* Provide general information, technical advice and assistance about workplace laws, rights and entitlements to the Scheme’s approved employers and their workers at various stages of application processes and throughout participation, safeguarding Scheme’ reputation.
* Assist employers with drafting of letters of offer of employment to Pacific workers and/or reviewing content of existing contracts, ensuring these address minimum workplace entitlements, as well as industry specific information.
* For approved employers:
a). encourage/educate employers to take responsibility for ensuring their employees understand their workplace entitlements,
b). provide information and guidance to support employers with establishing themselves as the initial point of contact for questions from their employees.
* For Pacific workers:
a). complement information already provided by approved employers, where needed and encourage employees to discuss any issues with their employer.
b). equip workers with information about how to seek the assistance of the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO), if they are unable to resolve the issue with their employer.
* Monitor and ensure that the Scheme Approved Employers are complying with Australian workplace laws.
* Support the Employment and Workplace Relations Manager to undertake proactive compliance activities of Approved Employers under the Scheme.
* Assist employers with administration throughout the process, providing information, templates, contacts.
* Assist Demand Team Managers with all required administrative duties, such as preparing for site visits and reviewing workplace policies of applicants.
* Manage schedule for follow up of ongoing Approved Employer (workplace relations) compliance checks.
* Maintain accurate records of all compliance activities and findings.
* Prepare findings’ reports on all compliance activities and contribute to formal Approved Employer recommendations to DFAT.
* Support the Demand Team to update documents, processes, workflows and operational guidelines.
The Workplace Relations Compliance Officer must possess the following qualifications and experience:
* Relevant qualifications in industrial relations, employment law or human resources discipline.
* Understanding of State and Federal industrial relations systems and employment legislation, workplace reform issues/trends.
* Experience in a HR, legal or similar role, demonstrating high quality outcomes in service delivery.
* Highly developed communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and appropriately in a culturally diverse environment.
* Demonstrated ability to provide services to a diverse client base, and to deal with an extensive range of industries.
* Experience in stakeholder engagement, International and Government relations [i.e. can build effective relationships with the Australian counterparts across the public and private sector.