Consultancy: WASH Consultant
Reporting to: Program Manager
Location: Aweil East, South Sudan
Duration of assignment: 4 Months
Purpose of the assignment:
To contribute to World Sudan Strategic objective of improving health and well-being of beneficiary community through improving access to safe water and sanitation, and impacting good behavior change in hygiene practices. Also to provide technical guidance and building the capacity of Northern Bahr el Ghazal team in setting up a strong WASH projects.
- Ensure the WASH intervention are aligned with the WV Partnership strategic direction, standards, child well-being outcomes, WASH technical approaches and internationally recognized WASH standards.
- Develop design plans, working drawings, and technical specifications, bill of quantities as per approved standards by the Ministry of Physical Infrastructure for all construction works outlined on the project design for the said project using AutoCAD or similar drafting computer software.
WASH Program Implementation:
- Prepare tender documents for purposes of soliciting bids/tenders from contractors for the said project.
- Follow up, inspect and ensure project materials are delivered as per specified measurements at field level in timely way, and make follow with you supervisor those not delivered as per requisition.
- Design, supervise and certify construction of any Public health facilities, institutional Latrines and community water filters through labor contracts through liaison with relevant government ministry’s technical department and the user community as outlined in the project documents.
- Coordinate hydrogeological survey, borehole drilling and equipping.
- Coordinate the establishment of small scale irrigation plots for multi-purpose use of water
- Undertake water quality (microbial, physical and chemical) analysis for new and rehabilitated water sources using portable laboratory water analysis kit, using water quality technical guidelines approved by the government and in liaison with Directorate of Water Supply and Sanitation in the Ministry of Physical infrastructure (MoPI).
- Undertake training of County Water Department technical staff in liaison with Directorate of Water and Sanitation in MoPI.
- Undertake training of community hygiene promoters on aspects of PHAST and CLTS
- Coordinate CLTS campaigns targeting the beneficiary community.
- Coordinate WASH staff capacity building
Work Quality outputs and budget controls:
- Establish and oversee implementation of systems for efficiently controlling the quality of technical works; closely tracking works progress against payment and work plans, and controlling the quality of the final construction outputs as per donor and user community expectations.
- Ensure optimal use of financial and capital resources in the project through timely requisitioning of all necessary supplies/contracts for project implementation.
- Coordinate day-to-day operation and financial management of the construction works in the field in accordance with the approved project work plan.
- Liaison with WVSS Grants division in tracking project expenditure, reviewing financial reports, and addressing queries related to expenditure in timely manager.
Coordination with local community groups/ Government Departments/ Other stakeholder
- Coordinate community mobilization activities especially on Water supplies construction works with view to ensuring community groups participate in availing labor and locally available construction materials etc as required.
- Liaise with beneficiary community and local authorities in the selection of project sites as per requirement of the project design.
Reporting and Communication:
- Prepare project documentation including monthly project reports on implementation/ construction status, intermediate and final narrative reports as per donor requirements and sending them to WASH Sector Specialist and other relevant team members for review/further action within set deadlines.
- Coordinate and participate in project startup/project closure workshops, baseline survey and end of Project Evaluation for the project as per project design and within the project implementation deadlines
- Contribute to monthly reports for WASH cluster attention
Qualification: Education/Knowledge/technical skills & experience required:**
- Minimum Degree in Civil Engineering or Water Resources Engineering or Building Construction and M.Sc. in Development Studies
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in infrastructure works or in Water and/or Sanitation Project implementation.
- Experience supervising construction teams/ contractors in water supply and sanitation construction works.
- Skills in project management, including managing resources, and financial and budget planning
- Experience and skills in community mobilization
- Skills in community total-led sanitation (CLTS) and Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Tools Methodology (PHAST) desirable.
- Skills and experience in conducting water quality analysis using portable water testing kits.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Having demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;